Making custom, precise cuts in plastic....

When I cut with a small saw, like a hand-help x-acto saw, the cuts are too "coarse", i.e. too much material is removed. The resulting gap can be upwards of 3/64", sometimes more.

When you folks that cut plastic do so and don't want to lose a lot of material along the way, what are you using?

Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

Greg,

If you are cutting styrene sheet stock, you need to 'score' the plastic with a sharp Xacto knife - then 'snap' the piece off. Sometimes you will need to score the cut line several times(thick stock or curved shapes like circles).

Jim Bernier

Greg Forestieri wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Greg, are you cutting the line or along it? If you're cutting down the middle of the line, you're going to lose material.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Greg,

Are you using an X-acto razor saw. The kerf on that kind of saw is quite small - typically about 1/64". With a kerf of 3/64" and upwards, it sounds as if you are using a much coarser type of blade, probably for wood.

Also, when sawing plastic, don't saw too quickly. The saw blade will generate heat which will start to melt the plastic rather than cut it, and you can get quite untidy cuts if this happens. Saw slowly with light pressure on the blade. A small bit of lubricant helps as well - spittle will do if you like :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I agree. There are much finer blades available. I know that Gyros make a razor saw that's thinner than most of the X-acto blades. Very fine teeth too.

Jim

Reply to
Ctyclsscs

Jim I'm kitbashing so I'm cutting up a Bachmann full dome car. Score and snap is great for bulk plastic but this thing is like elephant hide. Yes I'm using X-acto saws, one is "large", about 3/4" x 4", the other "smaller" about 1 1/2" long and less than 1/4" wide. They cut well, they just take a lot of material with them.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

Score and snap like glass. This makes a rough edge that is probably a bit finer than the sawing method and you need to use a file to clean up the edge. The score can usually be pushed back flat with a corner of something before filing or sanding with really fine sandpaper.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

GF> When I cut with a small saw, like a hand-help x-acto saw, the cuts are GF> too "coarse", i.e. too much material is removed. The resulting gap GF> can be upwards of 3/64", sometimes more. GF> GF> When you folks that cut plastic do so and don't want to lose a lot of GF> material along the way, what are you using?

I measure 'long' and sand to the exact length needed. Yeah, you waste some plastic, but such is life. I'm assuming you are talking about things like structural shapes (I-beams, H-columns, etc.). Thin sheets can be cut without wastage with an X-acto knife.

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to