Re: Wessex SE rally, Clutton.

Since posting, I've put another dozen or so up and moved them around so try,

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

I exhibited at our club rally on Saturday (not Sunday, family

commitments).

Nothing desperate, just my BSA Iron Horse derivative and a couple of > batteries. It was the only air cooled post WW2 engine in the eighty odd > engine line up, so attracted more than a little attention. > > However, the real thing that brought the onlooker to a halt was my single > side of A4 on a stick, presenting the information five feet off the ground. > I sat and watched them attentively all day and it was interesting to see > them pass by popping Petter and whiffling Amanco to come to a halt by my > humble little whirry generator. No bulbs, no roundabouts, just a sign on a > stick. I spoke to several that had used them in the Forces. > > I bought an engine at the auction. An ALCO Featherweight which turned out at > the point of sale to come complete with what I though was a starter from a > tractor lying next to it, but was in fact a Crompton Parkinson Air Ministry > 12/18 volt 20amp/300watt dynamo, directly driven off the ALCO - well, I had > to have it then, didn't I?. There was a tidy Lister D, complete & running > that failed to reach its reserve at the top bid of £20.00 > > The ALCO is one of those things that gets better as you look at it. There > was no compression at the plug 'ole, but this is because the head had been > off and only loosely re-assembled. Nipping up the head nuts produced some > and upon looking it over, it appears that the only things missing are the > direct drive coupling off the dynamo and the rubberised fabric driving disc. > No control unit unfortunately, but I was reassured to learn that a car FADE > unit will do the job - unless someone out there has the proper job? > > I've put some photos at > >
> Scroll to the end of the album. > > There are nine new photos at > >
> Have a look at the recently discovered middle-weight gas engine pics on the > last page of the album and the unusual ST "Little Major". > > I'm off to Kent on Friday and will be away until ABH Monday. On the way, I'm > collecting the Bernard Lightweight I bought out of SE magazine, so I shall > have something to play with whilst I'm away! > > > Regards, > > Kim Siddorn. > > > >
Reply to
J K Siddorn

Looks to have been a good event with a nice selection of unusual engines.

I have admired that Marvil and rare Villiers dynamo at a number of rallies over the last couple of years, but the owner never mentioned that it could be for sale! Never seen one of those Enfield two-stroke flat twins actually running, what did it sound like? Unknown gas engine looks awfully familiar, I'm sure we should be able to put a name to it. Model hot air engine is an Ericsson, probably built from the casting set available from Camden Miniature Steam Services.

Curiously I also bought an Alco featherweight engine a couple of weeks ago - desperately seeking justification for visiting a rather dull rally in Bucks I went for a last look at one of the few junk stalls and walked away with five pounds worth of seized incomplete Alco on the basis that stripping it might at least provide an afternoon's entertainment.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

(snip)

Hi Nick, I used to have a Marvil driving a pillar mounted Villiers Dynamo. I sold it many years ago for cash towards a larger engine. Now I am old enough to wish that I still had such a light interesting exhibit.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

"John Graham"

- has an ALCO without a starting handle and might be very interested indeed to talk to you!

There was a good turn out, although I'd have taken a few bits along for the auction if I'd known one was on.

The Enfield two stroke sounded - just like a two stroke. Both plugs fire together and the rod eyes encompass the single throw crank between them, but it chucked it down with rain (the Enfield pic was taken a couple of weeks ago at a crank up) before I could grovel about and look at transfer ports etc. So, a two stroke split single with perfect primary balance. I wonder what made them go to all that trouble ..........

OK, I give in, what makes you think the MarVil with the Villiers genny might be for sale?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

"J K Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

Sorry no handle. Starter dog has been modified to be in permanent engagement and a pulley attached either for half speed PTO or rope start, all without the benefit of a proper bearing - told you it was rough!

Might have been for sale. Your notes say that it had only been aquired by present owner two weeks earlier, so, when I admired it at the Lister-Petter rally earlier in the year, the then owner may well have already been considering disposal.

Reply to
Nick Highfield