A puzzle

Since I know there is nothing you all like better than a challenge :-) What make of engine is this? Its not a test as I don't know either.

Roland and Celia Craven

Hmmm, it's obviously a "something", isn't it? Someone went to a lot of trouble to get it right.

For what it's worth, I think it's a Gardner FMH . Page three at

- and the dynamo is a dead ringer for the big welding dynamo I've got.

First photo "Welding dynamo"

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Or that Crossley that was found in the woods a couple of years ago ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Had a second look in more details. The Gardner is an order of magnitude larger than the one on the ashtray and the detailing is different. Starting handles on the vehicle engines maybe, but the FMH would be a bit of a sod to crank over on a cold morning.... :-))

I'm leaning more toward the Crossley or a similar semi-transport motor, especially because of the starting handle.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I would have suggested Gardner but most likely I have a feeling it is a Pelapone as they did make 4 cylinder engines.

Have a look at the following Webshots link for a twin cylinder engine, note the 'bulges' in the water inlet and outlet manifolds and compare to your brass pressing...very similar ;-)

(thanks to the site owner for the photo!)

Following the above, I have just been searching through the SEM back issues and can confirm a similar (same?) ash tray is shown on page 28 of issue 336, March 2002 which also states it is a Pelapone.

Hope this helps....

Regards David

-- Stationary Engines Scotland

out for the Spamtrap !

Reply to
David McC

I think you have it David. It never occurred to me to look in SEM. many thanks Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven