Weekend events

Looking at OG events guide, the rallies on my usual stomping ground this weekend (should I get time off for good behavior!) are Stoke Row (Ipsden)
and Leighton Buzzard bypass. Never been to either before - any recommendations on these or other events?
Nick H

LB Bypass is a decent little show, weather prediction is good :-))
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
L B is a bit of a Hot Fog Show, stationary engines usually out of sight and small in number.
Martin P

Martin P
Just a drunken thought, (just got back from the pub), wouldn't it be nice if you could subscribe to group that posted you on Wednesday telling you of all the shows in Britain on the next weekend.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

and small in number.

OG events guide http://www.oldglory.co.uk/events.htm does a pretty good job and there are usually ads in SEM. Trouble is that stationary engines usually seem to fall into the 'also appearing' part of the bill with little information as to the number and variety expected, which is of course one area where a quick ask on this NG can sometimes help - it was partly due to Martin's comment above and partly because it was a nicer drive that I plumped for Stoke Row rather than Leighton Buzzard this weekend.
--

Nick H

A friend who goes confirmed that Leighton Buzzard had six stationary engines in a corner and all known regulars.
Martin P
wrote

nicer drive that I

engines
Good call then!
--
NHH

http://community.webshots.com/user/n_highfield
Gentlemen,
Whitwell Rally is on this weekend near Hitchin, I have never been and may make a visit myself tomorrow, still having difficulty bleeding the brakes on the camper so Sunday is busy.
Martin P
wrote

Nick H wrote:

Stoke Row is a nice little event, not the world's greatest line up of engines perhaps, but always plenty of hot fog, cars, motorcycles and so on. I've exibited there for the last few years and always enjoyed myself. In fact I will be dumping the Lister lighting plant over there this evening, and John Rogers, another regular NG contributor will also be exhibiting.
Regards
Philip T-E
Spoilt for choice then! Traders? (junk for me and craft, clothes, food etc for Helen)
--

Nick H

I'm off to a small Other Hobby event at Horton cum Studley in rural Oxfordshire.
Hope you all have fun wherever you are - looks like a warm, dry couple of days.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn

Like the man said, a nice little event. Engine line up not large but a few worthy exhibits, though curiously the only one to attract my camera lens was three suffolk lawn-mower engines in a row! At least they were all running which is more than can be said for John Roger's Victoria - mag failure after only 80 years or so - the excuses some people come up with ;-)
I particularly enjoyed the tractors, though when they all trailed off for their run round the ring I was disappointed that a Drayton (I think) engined Ransomes crawler did not join in - I was looking forward to hearing what a small uniflow scavenged two-stroke sounded like!
Not a lot of trade stalls, but it was a very pleasant drive through red kite country and I would certainly go again.
--

Nick H

Snip

Ouch!!! That hurt Nick. I took enough stick from P T-E over the weekend thank you very much, even though he was supplied with bacon rolls, sausage sandwiches and umpteen cups of tea over the weekend (not to keep him quiet I will add). Never mind it will be my turn to get my own back one day :-))
The mag is off to see a man that can this afternoon to be put back in full working order. I will say that even a stationary Victoria got more notice than some of the other engines in the line up, but each to their own.
Regards
JohnR
PS. It was nice to meet you for the first time>