Industrial Plastic

I got a chance to do some "pickup" after the closing of a manufacturing
plant locally. Found some industrial plastic material, green in color, one
inch thick. Any idea what it might be?
Respectfully,
Ron Moore
Reply to
Ron Moore
No idea, but I would like to buy some from you Ron. I will use it for insulators.
Ignoramus3259
It could be any of dozens of plastics. PVC, polypropoline, nylon, etc etc. Some standard simple tests are to see if it melts (and what temp), see how/if it burns (SMALL sample), see how it cuts. I've found that the usefulness to a hobbist is determined by how well it cuts. If you can bandsaw it cleanly, that is good. If you can machine it without gumming up, that is a plus. I have some 1" polypropoline that is just a pain to work with.
R> I got a chance to do some "pickup" after the closing of a manufacturing
Reply to
RoyJ
Even if it is conductive!
Nick
Reply to
Nick Mueller
If you submerge it in water (and eliminate any bubbles clinging to it), does it float or sink?
If you burn a thin section, what does it smell like?
Does the flame keep burning or stop by itself?
What color is the flame and does it drip?
Is there soot?
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
If it floats, then it is probably a witch, procede to the next step.
If it smells like a witch be prepared to explain just exactly how you what a burning witch smells like.
This helps because the degree of evil the witch has obtained the bore they resist burning. If they spontaniusly combust by tying them to the stake, then they are in fact not a witch but a pure demon, if they do not burn at all no matter how hot the fire, then they are innocent and you are in a big heap of trouble.
This helps those who witness the trial be firm in their faith and allows them to to postulate the degree of the wiche's guilt.
If so, you may gather the soot and use it to prove global warming is going to destroy the planet, and that George Bush should have never been on the ballot in Florida or Ohio as neither state should have been admitted to the union, it is only a plot of the tri-lateral comission and a zionist conspriacy.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
Haysite HCR-100 is green. See
for a description
Randy
Reply to
Randal O'Brian
"Roger Shoaf" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news01.syix.com:
My first thought was "What does a burning witch smell like?" then I decided that she must smell like a duck burning in the oven.....
Bill
Reply to
Bill
Richard J Kinch
Be careful about the burning. Combustion products of some plastics are really nasty.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
First - what did the manufacturing plant manufacture? Could be HDPE, some of which comes in colors. Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling
Yep. Key word is SMALL piece.
Pete Keillor wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Well ventilated area, blowing away from you, use your hand to bring a very small sample of the vapor to your nose- just enough to get a whiff of it. Common sense, eh?
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
Well, a friend came by today, took one look (and feel) and declared it to be UHMW. Since it came from a ceramics plant, that would make sense. Thanks for all the suggestions. I really wanted to burn some but now I don't have an excuse. All I have to do now is figure out what to do with the slippery stuff. I haven't determined its value yet. Respectfully, Ron Moore
Reply to
Ron Moore
Sorry Ron, I posted the wrong letters (old age?) and actually *meant* UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) when I typed it. I get the stuff from McMaster (usually in rounds) for making some bushings, etc. I also have made some really indestructible mallets with it as you can beat on metal objects as hard as you need to without hurting the metal and not destroying the mallet. Little stringy on the lathe, but it cuts nice with sharp tooling. Peck drilling works. Have fun with it... picture frames, cutting boards in the kitchen, etc. Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling
Fences and other sliding components for jigs and fixtures, good for proofing parts (like machinable wax), rack to hold cutters without dulling or damaging, etc. Bushings are the most obvious. I use the stuff all the time.
Reply to
woodworker88
There's a real good chance that it is UHMW as your friend suggested. Take a knife and shave a sliver off and light it. If it smells like a burning candle then it is PE and most likely UHMW-PE.
Reply to
REMOVE