Looking for large smoothbore plastic pipe slightly OT

I'm going to be working on a project soon that uses very, very large smoothbore plastic pipe. It needs to be 24-27 inches in diameter, smooth on the inside, and not too incredibly heavy. It'll be under a slight vacuum. I've been looking at the green PVC sewer pipe, which is supposedly available in those sizes, but it's not going to be easy to get. Apparently it's not used a lot for some reason. It is very important that the inside be smooth and pretty consistent in diameter. Does anyone know where I should be looking or if there is anything better for this application?

Metal content: Remaining components of this project will be made of mild CR steel, and aluminum, mostly 6061. Wiring most likely made of copper

Reply to
carl mciver

Where are you located? The pale green sewer pipe is readily available here in So. California. Ive made many projects from it, including the last 2 sail boxes, Cat Boxes for sail boats.

Rems are easy to find at construction sites, water works and so forth.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
carl mciver

Dog if I know what the name is. Ill be in the area of a place that uses a lot of it, likley this weekend. Ill stroll on into their yard and see if I can get some info. The 24" piece I used for my cat box (sail locker on a catamaran trailer..holds sail, boom etc) is about

3/8" wall thickness. Typically has flared ends.

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Gunner

Is this the boat in mothballs? Also has a cat box? Phew.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I've got a 1/2 mile of the six inch version buried on my place for irrigation lines. Its just called gasket seal water line at Hydro Engineering, the company that always has it in stock about 60 miles away. They supply all the contractors that put in water and sewer for local cities.

I'd work backwards. Ask your city administractor who put in/repaired water/sewer lately. Ask them who they buy pipe from... It might be best to buy through this contractor, most of these industrial wholesale outfits look down on a onesy customer. BTW, this stuff ain't cheap.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I read Gunner's post as saying the "cat box" was the place he kept the "sail, boom etc."

Were you _deliberately_ misunderstanding his post?

Reply to
jtaylor

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:32:12 -0400, the inscrutable "jtaylor" spake:

"He and Gunner have been having it out recently; arch enemies. You're lucky you missed all that. Just let it go." I whispered.

---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. --------------------------------------

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Another common term for this type pipe is "Low Head Irrigation Pipe"... The pipe is large volume, low pressure type. I've installed a fair amount of it, and I think you'll find the inside is not all that smooth as is a shotgun bore.... Try any Local Irrigation supplier and they'll point you in the right direction.. Smith Irrigation, for example.

Bill

Reply to
BillP

Carl

Last time I was down near Southcenter, I drove past that big sewage treatment plant north of there by the Green River, right up against the hill and there was a pile of big plastic pipe sitting there. I remember thinking "What cool stuff, wonder what I could do with it?". I've also seen it in various areas of south and east King county. Could be that Metro uses it and your utility up in Snohomish doesn't. Give Metro a call and ask. Once you get past the bureaucrats to the engineers, you might find some.

I've got a buddy that's an engineer for a local sewer district. I'll drop him a note and see if he has any ideas.

Jim

Reply to
Jim McGill

LOL~

Gunner

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Gunner

Hey Gunner, did you get the email I sent you couple days ago?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Just out of curiousity, what are you planning on firing out of it? :)

Reply to
Larry Fishel

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | Just out of curiousity, what are you planning on firing out of it? :)

Nuthin'! I've already made a working mockup out of 8" cardboard tubing to prove the concept to myself and my bosses. I plan on using the tubing for a vacuum operated dumbwaiter for folks at work. We go up and down stairs all damn day, carrying all manner of heavy tools and parts, and we're all getting older and more beat up all the time. If I can hang one of these things off side of the workstands, folks can avoid the hump at the beginning and end of each shift. To get a better idea, think of a simpler version of a vacuum elevator, which you can find out more by doing a web search for that term. There's a handful of firms that all sell the same elevator with a simple and failsafe design. I can do a lot simpler and smaller by not putting people in it. I need the smoothbore to seal the vacuum around the ..... whatever you call a car in a dumbwaiter....

Reply to
carl mciver

Carl.... it needn't be all that smoothbore... gimme an email off line and I can explain... snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to