Retail Source 5052 PIPE (not thin wall tube) USA

I've been working on another boat project and looking through various manufacturers websites I've found that aluminum water pipe might be the
best solution for one aspect. I want a 5052 pipe a wall thickness greater than the available tube I have found. Schedule water pipe seems to be a solution that exists. A few manufacturers do list it on their website, but I can't seem to find any "retail" at any of my usual sources. In fact very few seem to even have thin wall tube in 5052.
The first question some might ask is, "What's wrong with 6061? 6061 water pipe is available as is thicker wall 6061 tube." I want 5052 and 6061 isn't 5052. If I wanted to settle I would not need to make this post.
Cross posted to related groups only:
rec.crafts.metalworking rec.boats.building sci.engr.joining.welding
https://www.avg.com

Diameter, schedule/wall thickness, length, total quantity?
--
Regards,
Carl Ijames
On 1/12/2021 2:52 PM, Carl wrote: >> "Bob La Londe" wrote in message >> I've been working on another boat project and looking through various manufacturers websites I've found that aluminum water pipe might be the best solution for one aspect. I want a 5052 pipe a wall thickness greater than the available tube I have found. Schedule water pipe seems to be a solution that exists. A few manufacturers do list it on their website, but I can't seem to find any "retail" at any of my usual sources. In fact very few seem to even have thin wall tube in 5052. >> >> The first question some might ask is, "What's wrong with 6061? 6061 water pipe is available as is thicker wall 6061 tube." I want 5052 and 6061 isn't 5052. If I wanted to settle I would not need to make this post. >> >> Cross posted to related groups only: >> >> rec.crafts.metalworking >> rec.boats.building >> sci.engr.joining.welding > > Diameter, schedule/wall thickness, length, total quantity? >
Are you a vendor seeking to quote or do you know of a retail (online) source for 5052 aluminum pipe?
I've spent a bit of time looking and I think its as much what is available to me as it is what size I would really like. What I would really like is 5052 extrusions to fit the application, but what I have found to fit the application that is not proprietary is all 6061.
1-1/4 schedule 40 and 3/4 schedule 40. About 120 feet of each.
https://www.avg.com

Not a vendor. Among other hats I wore at my last job I did a lot of the material purchasing for the machine shop and thought I'd maybe try some of the local vendors I used to deal with but I didn't know what to ask for. Doubt they will have anything other than 6061 in stock but thought it would be worth a phone call.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames
On 1/12/2021 3:26 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

> I think these were cut from aluminum irrigation(?) pipe. > https://warriorprincess.fandom.com/wiki/Chakram
That would be some hellacious irrigation pipe. I've got a buddy who owns a several miles of irrigation pipe upto 12 inches. None of it is that thick.
I think its more likely it was cut from plate. There are even aluminum vendors who list circle (ring) cuts as standard order items on their websites. https://www.xometry.com/supplies/aluminum-6061-t6-ring
https://www.avg.com
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 1/12/2021 3:26 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

That would be some hellacious irrigation pipe. I've got a buddy who owns a several miles of irrigation pipe upto 12 inches. None of it is that thick.
I think its more likely it was cut from plate. There are even aluminum vendors who list circle (ring) cuts as standard order items on their websites. https://www.xometry.com/supplies/aluminum-6061-t6-ring
--------------------------
That's what I read, about the show's original props. The replicas seem to be cut from plate. I remember because I was surprised they would have pipe like that Down Under. Perhaps it carried water up into the New Zealand mountains where the show was filmed.
I burned through more than a day's internet ration looking for thick-walled tubing for hydraulics or to make deep submersible hulls. I have a use for 6063 T-1 rigid aluminum electrical conduit but I haven't found a local source. https://www.alliedeg.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/arc-aluminum-conduit-couplings-elbows.pdf
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 1:46:47 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

What aluminum alloy do they use for electrical conduit?
On 1/13/2021 8:47 AM, Michael Terrell wrote:

I've never used aluminum electrical conduit, but in my past career I installed many miles of PVC conduit along with steel EMT & IMC conduit. What would be the exact need aluminum conduit? Some LBs and a few other things appear to be cast aluminum (they could be zamak I suppose although they seem to be stronger than zamak), but I don't recall using any aluminum conduit.
https://www.avg.com

If another 5xxx alloy is acceptable, I think you'll have better luck finding 5086 aluminum pipe. 5086 is what's commonly used for tanks & hulls in marine (salt water) environments.
http://www.ims-metals.com/5086sch40.html
--
Ned Simmons

Aluminum conduit does exist - less corrosion, no stain in bad environments. Most say just "aluminum". Seems to be 6063:
.<https://www.westerntube.com/products/rigid-aluminum-conduit/
Also available as Schedule 40 pipe.
Joe Gwinn

On 1/13/2021 12:05 PM, Ned Simmons wrote:

Yep. 5052 is used in light craft and 5086 is used for structural elements and larger craft. I had not considered looking for 5086. Certainly worth a shot.
https://www.avg.com