ingenious way of constructing an android

The has got to be the most ingenious way of constructing an android I have ever seen! This guy is talented! Because of the materials and his methods, it looks
very biological.
http://www.xrobots.co.uk/modules/news/article.php?storyid '
Enjoy! JCD

Thanks, Pogo -- I hadn't seen that one, and it is really neat. I'm curious to see how well it will work -- will the motors be strong enough? And will the opposing pairs of motors turn at close enough to the same rate to not burn each other out? Can't wait to see the results.
That Polymorph (Shapelock) stuff looks really interesting. I do like how he's able to make pretty much any shape he wants, and even add to an existing part. I've been agonizing over how to build my android frame (though I did finally buy some aluminum angle and a metal cutoff wheel for my Dremel -- I'll be trying those soon). Maybe I should try Shapelock and wood, as he's done here. It certainly simplifies the "how do I mount this" problem.
Though on the other hand, if you embed your motors directly in the Shapelock like that, you're going to have a dickens of a time replacing one if it wears out or needs upgrading. Still, it's a cool material, and probably worth experimenting with.
Thanks for the link!
- Joe
--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually work.
Learn more and discuss via: <http://www.strout.net/info/science/polywell/>

Polymorph seems fairly stable stuff - ive had some on my window ledge for a couple of years now and its held shape nicely, hasnt yellowed or embrittled. Its fairly flexible at <3mm thickness and its a bit of a nightmare to add to, it just doesnt mold together well unless you get both parts "runny" as it were. I can see it being useful for non-high stress locations.