Re: something else i learned today...

how to cut a plate of steel in half running a 6010 at 365 amps.

> > very awesome.

I've heard if you soak the rod in water before you use it, the rod will consume at a slower rate. But I guess at 365A it wouldn't make much of a difference...

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Never even think about welding with wet gloves, or any clothing for that matter! (sorry, just had to disclaim)

I've never had to do it. Just heard about it. I've always had an O/A cutting rig handy to do whatever cutting needed to be done. More controlled cut, and all that. With a steady hand and the right tips/attachments, the torch can be one of the most versatile tools in the shop.

365A has got to be pretty exciting, though. How thick was the plate?
Reply to
John L. Weatherly

soak the rod in water? hm, wouldn't that give you one helluva jolt? or only if your gloves are wet?

i'm not too sure about how you get juiced, but i know a few things that will aid in getting hit with a shock.

just curious man...i never heard of soaking a road in water.

Reply to
Ryan

Reply to
Frank & Jenny Craven

It is not uncommon for people to get killed at the local shipyard here. I try to steer clear of these types of places. Full of regular cowboys. Ya know the ones- macho types who think they are too cool to wear safety glasses, weld all day with sleveless shirts only on, stand in a foot of water to strike an arc...

If they can't get the personal safety thing down, I don't want to be in the way of several tons of steel when the operator of the overhead crane can't figure out which hand to hold his lit cigarette in, and which to hold the control box in...

Sorry for the rant. I guess you can tell I've had my brush.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

The idea of having the rods sitting in water is to increase their life when you are cutting. After all you are not welding and by keeping the rod as cool as possible it will last longer. Randy

i'm not too sure about how you get juiced, but i know a few things that will aid in getting hit with a shock.

just curious man...i never heard of soaking a road in water.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman
1/4" mild steel...the instructor showed me how to do it...he stated "in-case you're in the field where no torches are available to cut, try this" and proceeded to burn the thing apart.

it was great, i thought. lots of fumes (i made that statement to him and he said "get used to it") LOL

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

frank-

i heard about the melted fillings...so that's no joke, huh?

dang...are you saying you worked in a shipyard? or do?

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

John -

I agree man. personal safety to me has always come before anything else.

we had plenty of arguments with management at my last job...about forklifts taking steel racks over our heads and they told us to "deal with it". now they're shut down (they were pissed at the union and plenty of other reasons and pulled out).

i have begun welding only with #10 lenses, proper gloves going over my arm cuffs, welding jacket (green one), leather (if doing overhead), cotton pants (gonna check into those fireproof ones) and a bandana/welder's beanie.

i'm not a cowboy. i want to do the job right, learn the trade the correct way and not be an idiot on the job. i dont have anyone to impress...i'm only there to work and do the job right.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Randy-

i see, thanks man...i'll keep that in mind.

Reply to
Ryan

Ryan,

It sounds as if you have a good head on your shoulders about safety. I didn't mean to sound off. I've left more than one job over safety issues. I don't know if it is because most of the welding jobs in the south are non-union, or what.

Hell, the only job I ever got fired from was for filing a grievance with TOSHA (TN's version of OSHA). The boss refused to supply us with respirators in an asbestos particulate heavy area. The job got shut down for two days while the state boys got samples to verify that it was way over the limit. I half expected to get fired, but it beats lung cancer, eh? Plus this guy needed to have his wagon fixed...

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Hey man, you gotta do what you gotta do to protect yourself though. Employers could care less. Welders are replaceable as is 99% of the other professions out there.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Is it kind of like Arcair cutting?