Repairing Pawls

I am restoring an old Mechanical line printer. Many of the pawls for the clutches and escapements are worn out. They are made of very hard steel and the metal that is worn away need to be replaced with something that will be equally as tough. The amount of metal I need to build up is very small and I was thinking of using some hardfacing power and a torch to build it up but have never used it before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Jimmy

The first thing that comes to mind is that, if I was doing it, I would apply a small amount of Stellite#6 (I have some) with a Tiny Torch and then grind/machine to final shape.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Check with your local welding supply and see what hard surfacing material they have. Get the literature and price too. Stellite #6 is a good choice if you have it, but it is not cheap and one of its properities ( good at high temps. ) you don't need. I have not used powder, so can't comment on that. Have used various other hard surfacing rods. But no point in recommending anything you can't get easily.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I tried it for several apps because my local supplier was blowing out a box of #6 TIG rods. I made a center punch by depositing a blob on the end of a piece of re-bar and shaping the point in the lathe with a carbide cutter. After some use it got dull so I re-pointed it. That was a few years ago. It is in constant use both hot and cold and hasn't been re-pointed since that first time. Seems the stuff work hardens.

What choices can you suggest for cold applications?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I am not saying that Stellite 6 is not great stuff, but if you have to go buy some more you might find it a bit pricey. It is about 70 % cobalt. I would think chrome manganese would be one of the good choices for impact. There are other rods that contain carbides that are great for abrasion, but not as good for impact. So they would not be as good for pawls.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I realized that but I'm interested in being aware of alternatives.

What would I ask for?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Never worked on the Klienshmits myself, too newfangled.

Oddly enough, while I was on course for the Teletype 14/19 machines somebody noticed an obituary notice for "the" Mr. Klienshmit, woulda been'78 or '79.

.

: > I used to work on Teletype stuff, they had a lot of parts in them that : > were designed to wear out on purpose. These were the parts that were : > easy/cheaply replaced that were rubbing on other parts that were not easy : > or cheap to replace. Some of these items were replaced on montly basis. : >

: > Regards, : >

: > Howard. : >

: > Jimmy ( snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com) wrote: : > : I am restoring an old Mechanical line printer. Many of the pawls for the : > : clutches and escapements are worn out. They are made of very hard steel : and : > : the metal that is worn away need to be replaced with something that will : be : > : equally as tough. The amount of metal I need to build up is very small : and I : > : was thinking of using some hardfacing power and a torch to build it up : but : > : have never used it before. Any suggestions would be appreciated. : >

: >

: >

: > -- : > Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** : > * * : > Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * : > Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * : > * * : > snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

-- Howard Eisenhauer on ************************************** * * Chebucto Community Network * Can't think of anything cute * Halifax Nova Scotia * to put in here * * * snipped-for-privacy@chebucto.ns.ca **************************************

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I doubt if this one will see to much action. I just want it for show and tell. Thing will print about 4 80 character lines a second. Not bad for something built in the 60's

Reply to
Jimmy