Re: Opinions wanted for this machine.

I'm trying to get into welding, more as a hobby, and I found this

> advertising on the net :
> What does this «no brand name» suggest to the experienced? > > > Thanks > Gilles > >

Century is not my idea of a worthwhile investment.

If you want a small TIG/Stick welder, try a Maxstar 150 like this one.

A much better investment. If you want to be able to TIG aluminum the next step up would be the ESAB 161 for around $1700.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I think you would outgrow this machine in a matter of weeks. I would get something like an entry level Miller, Lincoln, or at the very least, Esab. Make sure you get an AC/DC machine that has the high frequency generator and water/gas solenoids built in. Also a footpedal current control to adjust the heat on the fly.

This sounds like a lot of stuff, but you will have the control when you need it (control is what tig is all about). Buddy up with you local welding supplier, and your life will be a lot easier. I try to be monogamous with my guy, and he usually beats the best deals on the net (I don't even have to haggle).

My two cents...

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Thank you for your reply. Both of you seem to be going in the same direction: go for more quality (Ernie) , and little more features (John). Than the machine will give a better result, thus keep it longer equals «investement».

That may be better than: get in at small cost and re-do-it next year.

Gilles

Reply to
Gilles Marchand