Opinions Wanted Please

The following link leads to a test page for my latest web site, see:

basically I would like your opinions on the look of the layout and the menu. Please note that while the links are in place they do not as yet lead to any content.

Many Thanks,

Richard.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Charles Hamilton

Yep, clean and simple. Though I do find the roman font hard to read and a bit small. The lefhand menu doesn't look quite right with the word "to" as in "Makers A to B". Think I'd have a heading "Makers" then "A B", "I J K L" "M N O", etc though without playing with that I'm not sure it look right either.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1 in that respect but no Holder in the index

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Given the number of makers he's got listed, he could actually put all the links directly on the index page, which would immediately show the visitor a complete table of contents. Then they wouldn't need to hover to check if a particular maker was covered.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Many thanks for the comments. I did try putting all the links on the page in the way you suggest, currently there are approximately 70 different makes covered, in due course I hope to add additional makers and perhaps other sections, there are several problem with implementing the links as you suggest, in order to make them fit without an annoying amount of scrolling for site users, the text size would have to be very small which would annoy users with less than perfect eyesight. I would prefer to do it the way you suggest and not to use scripts for the menu but something like the present menu seems to be the best solution for the longer term development of the site.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Can you please explain what you mean by no "Holder in the index"

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Many thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Many Thanks for your feedback. I prefer the look of a serif font, but would consider changing it if enough users expressed a preference for a sans font. Making the font size larger could change the appearance of the layout, if many people find it a problem I would consider changing it.

The menu is a compromise, I have tried to keep it simple and functional.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

I was wondering that but I've just had a "ding" moment. It might mean that there is nothing to indicate which menu item is the currently active page/section. Normally done by changing the background colour for the active menu item. I also like the mouseover colour to be different from the active or inactive menu items.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for that. Unless scripts are disabled when the mouse is over the menu, the item should be highlighted in dark blue. I would prefer not to use a script, but dealing with so many links in a way that will be easy to maintain presents problems that I have as yet to solve by any other means.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Holder is a German make of tractor, of which I have two.

I didn't realise my brief sentence could be ambiguous.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Just goes to show that there is something new to learn every day. I thought that I was aware of most of the more obscure (in the UK) European tractors but I can't recall having ever seen a Holder, if I am lucky enough to see and photograph one it will certainly be added.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Has few few pictures of the model I have.

Mine have had a hard life ;-)

AJH

Reply to
andrew