F6F Hellcat opinions wanted

I'm just about to finish an Eduard 1/48 F6F-3 Hellcat. The model is built pretty much out of the box, but I have dropped the flaps - something which is very easy to do on this kit.

The kit decals provide a scheme for BuNo 66016 with red outline insignia when with VF-16 in 1943 and also Lt Alexander Vraciu's machine when he was with VF-6. However, it seems that during the Battle of the Phillipine Sea, Vraciu was serving with VF-16 and 66016 was his machine at the time. It is possible to use the kit decals to depict the aircraft at this stage in its history, whch is what I have done.

The control surfaces on this kit are seperate from the airframe, so it would be possible to depict them deflected. However, I have read that the F6F had spring loaded control surfaces that were held in place when the aircraft was parked.

My question is, how effective was this spring loading? Given that in June

1944, 66016 had been in service for over a year, most of which had been spent being worked hard in a combat environment, is it possible that the spring loading wasn't quite as effective as once it had been? I'm not saying that I should show the control surfaces severley drooped, but I wonder if showing the elevators deflected maybe five degrees or so would be valid.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

...actually, it depends on a bit more than that. If the surfaces were spring-compensated, it was probably to offset airloading in addition to the the anti-servo tab and manage stick forces - so they probably wouldn't have held the full weight of the surface.

Secondly, was the elevator driven by mechanical linkage, or hydraulic power? That could make a difference.

Thirdly...a simple Google image search located a number of pictures of Hellcats with elevators pointing trailing edge skyward when parked - indicating to me that they were parked in some sort of gust-locked condition...even if it was as simple as to hold the stick aft with the belt/harness strap. Common practice with light planes even today.

Bottom line - find a picture you like, and go that way.

Reply to
Rufus

Thanks, Rufus. That *is* , of course, the sensible option! And thanks for the interesting comment on the spring compensation.

I did a Google image search and, like you, found a surprising number of F6Fs with elevators deflected upwards. If they were held in that position by the seat harness, that really isn't an option for me as the harness on my model is already set in position. However, it is something to think about for future models.

I have managed to find a picture of a parked F6F with the elevators in exactly the positions that I wanted. As a bonus the rudder is deflected as well, so that's how I'm going to finish it!

Has anyone else built one of these Eduard Hellcats yet? It's a pure joy to build. Highly recommended.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I won the Eduard kit in a raffle at a club meeting recently, but I've only just looked it over and not started the build as yet - it does look like a great kit. I've got the Hasagawa kit as well, and in comparison the Eduard kit looks top-notch. Going to have to give some of the other Eduard kits a look now.

Reply to
Rufus

I've built the 1/48 FW-190A-8. That's an excellent kit, but is quite challenging to build due to all the opened panels.

The Eduard 1/48 Spitfire 22/24 is the Airfix kit with an Aires cockpit. Be aware that the cockpit simply doesn't fit! I found this out some time ago when building a Seafire FR47. I posted my experiences of the disastrous build in this group at the time.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

=BF=BDAnd thanks for

(ducking) How's the nose?

You know, there's a few of these around . . . .

Reply to
tomcervo

=BF=BDAnd thanks for

If you want to test the waters, there's the Weekend Editions of the Great War types--the Hanriot and the Pfalz have minimal rigging and simple color schemes, and build up beautifully.

Reply to
tomcervo

LOL

I can assure you that the claimed cross section for the Eduard kit is *not* representation of the cowling in my kit. That is much more like the right-hand picture.

I've compared the cowling with numerous pictures of the real thing and I think it is very accurate. It's certainly accurate enough for me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix