Lindberg Yorktown - Opinions wanted

Could anyone provide me with an assessment of this kit? I'm considering building one, but I'd like to know just how much work would be involved to bring it anywhere near accurate. (I already know that there are no photoetch sets made specifically for it. I'll have to just use generic railings and the like.) Not just "It's bad" or "It's good," please provide specifics as to the quality of the planes, AA guns, hull/superstructure shape, etc.

Better still, does anyone know of a website with photos of the kit parts? (All I've been able to find is pictures of the box)

- Sean F.

Reply to
SeanFallesen

MGFoster

Look here:

This is one of the older internet lists of plastic ship kits, with some good, detailed evaluations of the kits. Joe Poutre maintains it now.

Reply to
RC Boater

Unless you are really committed to this kit, I'd say forget it. Go with the Trumpeter Hornet and Nautilus Models Enterprise/Yorktown update instead. It is far more accurate and detailed. You can then also use the GMM or WEM brass sets. WEM also makes an interior set with all the flight deck girders if you want to open the hangar deck. A far pricier solution, but the Trumpeter kit with the brass sets will build to a fantastic model.

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

The Lindberg Yorktown is the Essex class carrier so all you have to do is get the Trumpeteer Yorktown (II). No conversion set necessary but you can go to town with PE addons.

Reply to
Charles Jones

Oh, I'm perfectly aware of that, and have the Trumpeter kits for myself already. :) It's a matter of someone else wanting me to build it for him, and I'm just trying to get a feel for what will be involved. (For instance, the Nichimo 1:500 Takao and Maya that I'm just about finished with were a whole lot worse than I thought they'd be.)

- Sean

Reply to
SeanFallesen