lindberg 111

i know lots of people sneer at the oddball scale 111, but working on my second, i find it to be a pretty fun build. it's easy to scratch stuff for the cockpit, i add bulkheads and better seats and bomb aimer position, better detail after removing the rivets and the engines are getting extra detail. but there is one place of real woe. the machine guns are the same 50 cal looking units in the b-17. side by side they match. anyone suggest variants, or ways to scratch better guns? i also can't tell what model this is supposed to be. h? anyone bashe one into a more realistic ac? suggestions on unusual paint schemes? it really is a fun kit, i have 3 more and was thinking of a kette flying over my bed. too bad there isn't a nightfighter, but this ac surely must have been too slow. well, it might catch a whitley or some early bird, but that would be anachronistic.

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:OQU7e.4471487$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

I just picked up 3 of the 2 Hellcats/ 1 Betty kits for a song on eBay. Some for my son for practice and maybe I'll do one of each just for the memory.

It occurs to me that Lindberg must have been trying to establish a new standard scale of 1/64 'cause they had the B-17, the He-111, the Betty and the B-58. They had a point, bigger than 1/72 but not as imposing or a space hog like 1/48. Ah well, what coulda been.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

And toss in kits such as the old Monogram Snap-Tite P-51D in 1/64th scale... which was actually a very nice kit.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

And the earlier '49er' P-40N, not to mention most of their wood/plastic SuperKit series. Revell, Comet, and Aurora also did quite a few aircraft in 1/64 or very close to it - I've managed to accumulate a nice mini-collection of kits in this scale.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

damn, how did i miss those? any chance you'll sell one? i've had that on my hot list. are you sure it wasn't just to fit boxes they already had? i think they're cool.

thats a good idea. don't think i have any pistols, though. maybe i can upscale by smash molding. or just carve some bits for one master and smash mold.

Then too American Flyer trains were roughly to S scale, or 1/64.

On the gun problem I can't think of any figures in that scale that might be carrying MGs that could be converted. How about 1/48 pistols that you could re-barrel with round stock? Perhaps the little round plastic discs found on most kits could be fashioned into magazines.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:Vd18e.4507547$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

My son needs all the practice he can get and he likes the Japanese planes. Just keep looking. There are B-17s and 111s up now.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

i have the 17 and 11's. the betty is the one i need. lmk if you see anymore.

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:kyi8e.4589339$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

Right here, dude!

Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:kyi8e.4589339$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

And here

Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain (e) wrote in news:kyi8e.4589339$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

Just go to ebay and put this in the search box. betty lindberg

Reply to
Gray Ghost

thanks, i saw that but it's not the 3 planes and it's too much for the betty alone. i missed one for $10.

better, thanks

i did, saw the first, the second is new.