AMT/Ertl Millenium Falcon

...just picked up one of these on eBay for a very good price. I've heard tell that the thing to do is to replace the side panels with shorter ones. I've found the site that sells them (Jack Smith) but now only as part of a $150 set including gear, gear bays, cockpit and panels. I don't need the other stuff (in-flight mode and I'll scratch what I need for the cockpit). Does anyone have any dimensions for the corrected panels, and/or images of the studio model to copy the detail from?

Best regards, Matt

Reply to
Matt Bacon

I got a big book from the library years ago on the making of Star Wars and it wasn't hard to see that the surface details on the various Falcons were not the same.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

is the mpc falcon any good? a frind sent me one he started.

i will. unless i trade it for some obscure faa craft.

I built the Falcon about ten years ago for a buddy of mine. I thought it was a pretty decent model after I painted and sufficiently weathered it. On that one I replaced the landing legs with K&S tubing, rebuilt the laser cannons, and spruced up the cockpit with some scratch built detail. If I were to do another one for myself ,and I plan too, I will definitely rebuild the whole cockpit. Those bench seats that they give you are terrible imo.

Cheers Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

Heres mine:

I used the Jack Smith side panels and cockpit. I hear that he will be selling the sets individually again but as for now it's just a rumor. They are very nice parts and I can't imagine trying to cut down the kit parts and get a result anywhere near as nice.

This is a fun kit to build, esp. if you like weathering! Those side panels have got to go though. They make the kit look more like a toy.

Reply to
Wedge

thank you. looks like i have some stripping and disassembly to do.

that is really nice. i will try most of your ideas when i get an airbrush. thanks muchly.