That modeling skill stuff...

Trying to fit the Aries F 16 block 30 40 resin cockpit into a 1/48 Hase F 16C. WoW this is going to be a lot of cutting on the kit fuselage !! I figure OK, but am just starting to measure a lot right now, it *almost* seems a tad too big. The Aries info does say it's for the Hase kit, so off I'm going. But it's going to require a lot of grinding and test fitting !! And then instructions are kinda vague on this. (not Verlinden vague at least) I really hope that this all fit's. One way or another I will do my best to make it so. (with the hood open it should not be a problem in the end)Looks like bondo, and plastic card are going to be my friends here. (and that wonderful CA smell...)

Now that all said, the Aries set is just absolutely beautiful !!!!

The resin casting and the detail is some of the best resin I've seen. Gone is the cream colored resin, it is a gray color, and almost every single switch/knob has been cast to perfection. The PE, and film instruments are very well done as well. The PE covers the parts that don't need to be 3D perfection, and the resin parts fit together like a Tamiyagawa kit it seems, comparing to Aries kit's of old, ya can see they have improved greatly in their process and what they choose to make in each medium. I only wish they cast the seat straps as part of the seat, they use PE instead. The seat guide rollers fit into the delicately cast rails in a perfect fit. Only problem so far is a small box at top left side of seat prevents the seat from going all the way down to the floor. Going to be a shame to grind part of it off to make the seat fit. Even the tub floor under the seat has well cast in detail ! They have several HUD's for block 30 or 40, mine will be a -30 F 16. The HUD alone consists of several PE parts, and film pieces. The cockpit set is almost soo well done it would make a great stand alone display by itself if ya ask me. Part of the main instrument panel is cast with the coaming and fit's the tub like a glove. The CRT's UFC, and other instruments cast in are very well detailed, The center console is PE with film instruments, and PE again for the right side panel with film instruments. Except for the CRT's and RWR, and standby gyro, all instruments are backed by film gauges. No soft areas, on ANY of the resin, all crisp and sharp. What is missing is the cockpit seal, canopy hooks, and some small bit's here and there. But other than that this is one nice and seriously well detailed cockpit set. !! The cockpit tub with the cast in place side controller is a work of art. (the side controller has all the buttons, and pinkie switch very well done) The sidewalls have the throttle and other pieces well cast and with amazing relief to all the odds and ends. The whole set will take a while to paint. Other resin parts are the arm rest, gear handle, canopy actuator in two pieces, and extra side controller. I haven't opened the PE fret, tho there are quite a few pieces on it. I think Aries really expects you to know all the parts to an F 16 cockpit. After flying an F 16 in the flight simulator Falcon 4, I do. (the sim has you start the engine, and all the cockpit switches work as in real life, takes years to master)

The Aries GE engine rear end is at the same quality level, tho have not checked the fit so far yet, but again, the casting is exquisite !

I have yet to decide if I want to detail the gear bays...

No air bubbles, no soft areas, the detail is all crisp and sharp on both sets. Way to go Aries !!

Well, I finished my JS 2 (well almost, just tweaking and detail painting) and also finished building the better part of an Italeri Opel Blitz truck, wow what a pain that is to build is some ways. (plastic is soo hard and brittle) I'll just muddle along with this one here and there till it to gets done. Someday...

It's cold and we are expecting just a couple of inches of snow here today, so ya can see where my mind and time are at :)

Reply to
AM