revelle 1/32 bf 110

good kit? flaws, must haves, decals? love that scale for it.

e wrote:

    Be it noted that there are two versions of this kit. The first was a Bf-110C/D kit that was later re-released in the Revell History Makers series. This was fairly accurate and made up into a very impressive model.     The second version was a Bf-110G, but this one has some serious accuracy issues because of the change to the engine nacelles, rudders and canopy.
                            Bill Shuey

i'm sure it's the g-4. is it hard to correct? and add on kits?
e wrote:

Correcting the engine nacelles *correctly* is quite difficult indeed, because they're noticeably too small in diameter forward of the wing. My fix was to saw horizontal slots into the nacelles at their 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions, insert thick plastic wedges that tapered from approximately 1/8" at the front and to nothing at the leading edge of the wing, and then file the result until it was round. You'll need also to add a rather subtly-shaped low, wide bulge at the top of each nacelle and to replace the kit's props -- which are too slender -- and spinners -- which are not only too small in diameter but also too short and too pointed. Real '110 Fs and Gs used the same props and spinners as those on real '109 Gs, so you can use either the corresponding parts from any of the recently-released 1/32 Hasegawa '109 G kits or any aftermarket equivalents for those parts. Alternatively, you could use the spinners from Revell's ancient 1/32 '109 "sorta F, sorta G" kit, which happened to be more or less accurate in that regard, and build up the '110 kit's props with sheet plastic. The other major error in the Revell G kit is its rudders, which are correct for a '110 C through a '110 G-2 but wrong for a G-4 nightfighter.

Jerry Rutman [ http://jrutman.playnet.com/catalogue/catalogue.html ] sells an excellent resin detail set that includes a detailed cockpit, corrected wheelwells, corrected wheels, and landing gear (US$45.00); another set that provides corrected resin props, spinners, and rudders (US$18.00); the cockpit alone (US$25.00); and the wheels alone (US$6.00). I recommend all of this stuff -- but be aware that although Jerry's spinners are much more accurate in shape than the kit's, they're designed to fit the kit nacelles and so are too small in diameter. The latter problem is obvious if you compare the rear diameter of the '110 G kit's spinners to those in the new 1/32 Hasegawa '109 G/K kits or in the ancient 1/32 Revell '109 F/G kit.
Hoping this helps,
Charles Metz

helps a bunch, thanks.

Glad I sold mine and waited for the Monogram kit. I had a couple of the "G's" and one "C." While the G was in a US box the C was in a Japanese box making me wonder if this was another Japanese Revell mold. Anybody ever have a C in a British, German, or US box?
tia
The Keeper (of too much crap)

"G's"
making me

I had a British C. I can still remember saving my pocket money for it when it appeared in the local shop.
John

Cool. I've never seen the C in a US box. Rarely saw one over here while the G was quite common. Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
Fairly decent looking model, but experts say that the nacelles are not correct for either the C (early issue) or G (late issue) versions! I built mine OOB and except from a bit thick clear parts, I decided to put another in the stash for a later build. Both mine are G-4 versions, and I have an idea of backdating one to an early war machine.
--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark

ok, thanks