Tamiya M2 Bradley questions...

Hi all,

I'm not a tread head but I picked up Tamiya's M2 Bradley kit (No.

132), the one with the full interior and markings for vehicles in the states and Germany. I want to build this in Desert Storm configuration to go with my M1 tank.

Was this version used in Desert Storm? It appears different from the more recent Iraq War versions, as the latter have lots of nuts and bolts all over them, and the side armor looks different. Did I perchance buy the wrong thing?

Also, on the front of this vehicle is a large gizimo referred to as a Trim Vane. What the heck is this? This doesn't seem to be mounted on the more recent Bradleys.

Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Weasel

Reply to
Weasel

You mean M1A1, I hope (120 mm cannon to say the least)?

That's the M2A2 version.. But hey, if they're still fielding M113s you can't go wrong with plain M2..

Reply to
Ivan Jozic

Yes, this variant was still in use by the US Army, but I believe all the Regular Army units already had the M2A1 or M2A2 during Desert Storm. To make a quick M2A1, omit the four side hull firing ports. There are some other minor adjustments to areas like the bustle rack, but you would be close enough.

The one with the bolts is the M2A2 and M2A3, both variants are in use in Iraq as we speak.

The trim vane is part of the floatation system that keeps water from flowing over the front of the vehicle while it is swimming. All Bradleys are no longer rated for swimming due to the increased weight of the added armor. The M2A2 had a different swim barrier system and didn't use the trim vane. All swim barrier fittings are supposed to be removed hence the absence on newer vehicles.

Visit my motor pool at

for detail photos. I have walk around photos of an M3, M3A1 and an M2A2. All of which should help you in completing the model. Have fun with it.

Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

The Bradley did not replace all the M113 family of vehicles. In frontline maneuver units, M113 variants are still used to transport combat engineers, medics, maintenance contact teams, military intell soldiers, smoke generator units and first sergeants have been known to commandeer M113s to haul chow to forward positions. Mortar platoons are still using the M113A2/A3 based M1064

120mm mortar carrier. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the
gallery
Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Photos published immediately after Desert Storm show that all Bradley variants produced up to that time saw combat service in the Gulf War, including the plain vanilla M2 and M3, as well as the later -A1, -A2 variants. See the relevent titles from Squadron, Concord, Europa Militaria and Verlinden. Gerald Owens

Reply to
GERYO