Loosing 17KW

Not very eco-friendly I know, but I need to loose about 17KW of water borne heat for short periods of time - maybe 30 mins or so in bursts -
any suggestions? It will only operate VERY intermittently - perhaps 20 times a year for 30 mins a time.
I have a piece of electronic equipment with an input power 100KW and an output power approx 83KW, with the 'loss' of 17KW carried mainly away by its water cooling, which is at 4 bar (about 60 psi) at 21 litres / min). This water needs a special 'mono ethyl glycol' antifreeze that is non ionisable (as it flows through bits of circuitry that are 1000v different in potential), and hence a tad expensive. My initial thought are to run it through the primary circuit of a domestic hot cylinder, with the 'hot water' side constantly fed from mains cold water and flowing to waste.The cooling water needs to stay below 40 deg C. Previously I had been considering a lorry radiator and fan, or maybe a bank of domestic ones, but 60 psi is perhaps a bit high, also I want to keep the installation as compact as possible.
Any suggestions apart from application to the loony bin?
AWEM
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:15:21 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

A large marine or industrial Serck-type heat exchanger will do it, provided you can get enough flow of cold water through the other side. Try a marine scrapyard, or a dealer in used marine engines. Mains water flow, apart from being wasteful, might not be enough. Maybe a water tank with an electric pump to circulate the water, but then you are into wasting space again.
I've got a couple of 'vintage' industrial radiators from 20bhp diesels looking for a home, complete with fans which need belt drive, but I don't know what pressure they would be good for.
Cheers Tim

water
bursts -

20
and
cooling
considering
psi
compact
side.
diesels
Tim,
Thanks for the offer - I will tuck it away in the back of my mind
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote:

<snip>
What you need is a small portable industrial chiller. You could have a look at goindustry auctions and check out the plastic moulding ones, they often go quite cheap. If all else fails and your pockets could stand it, you can hire/rent one from here http://www.industrialcooling.co.uk /
HTH
Peter

water
bursts -

perhaps 20

Peter,
Don't want to pour MORE power into the equation ! As it is I'm really short of 20 KW as the device should have 120KVA though I can throttle it down
AWEM
Andrew Mawson wrote in message ...

Hi Andrew,
17kW for 30 mins will heat about 54 gallons of water from 10 to 40 degrees C. (assuming my back of envelope calcs are OK). I'm guessing that cold tap temp is 10C(?) So a simple tank of this size should do. If you need to make it smaller, how about the indirect tank with the secondary connected to a myson type fan convector via a CH pump? Or indeed use your lorry radiator/fan combination in the secondary circuit which could then work at atmospheric pressure.
Yet another of your 'interesting' projects.
Regards and HNY
Bob

water
bursts -

20
and
cooling
considering
psi
compact
degrees
cold tap

circuit
Bob,
Yes your figures come out close to mine - I was reckoning only only having to have perhaps two or three changes of water in the hot cylinder during the melt (oops let the cat out of the bag!) which obviously is wasteful but as it is so intermittant probably not too heinous.
As for 'interesting' projects - it's called being blighted with ambitious ideas <G>
AWEM
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:32:50 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

Ten gallon drum full of water with a garden fountain mounted at the top. Another ten gallon drum, with no ends and with ventilation holes cut at the bottom of the sides bolted on top. Instant cooling tower.
Paint it all to resist corrosion and bolt a zinc cathode in the bottom drum to help. Throw a bit of bleach in to prevent legionella growth.
Or something like that.
Mark Rand RTFM
Mark Rand suggested

What about being all environmental and saving the heat - couple the whole hum-ding-shooting-match to the household hot water system? :)
Mike
--
Mike Whittome

top.
cut at the

bottom drum to

:)
Mike,
Yes that would be nice, but it is 200 foot from the house and will only run very intermittantly and then probably only when the house has little heat demand. Now if only they would get on and invent the perfect heat store I could tap it in the depths of winter. I remember as a child reading a Rupert Bear book where he was storing sunlight energy in jam jars so it has been done <G>
AWEM
Andrew Mawson said it was all OK because ..............

Thats good Andrew - whatever it is that you are up to, it sounds like good sense it keep it away from the house.
Mike
--
Mike Whittome

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:26:28 +0000, Mike Whittome

But only 25 foot from the Bromley Kipper factory. What about piping the water to your automatic dolly peg machines ? -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

like
John,
Glad to have you back on line. Did they give you remission for good conduct or were you just expelled like the curry? Could you get kippers where you went?
Andrew
John Stevenson wrote:

No. I finally have it. It IS the Bromley Kipper Factory!!
BTW, is this thread about losing 17 kW, or loose-ing it on the unwary?
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:15:21 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

I would be wary about using a domestic hot water cylinder with 4 bar in the primary circuit unless it is specified to take that pressure. I have seen the primary circuit fail at 2 bar on old cylinders when attempts to pressurise old CH systems in place of the gravity fed header tank.
-- cerberus
wrote:>Not very eco-friendly I know, but I need to loose about 17KW of water

bursts -

20
psi
compact
I would be wary about using a domestic hot water cylinder with 4 bar in the primary circuit unless it is specified to take that pressure. I have seen the primary circuit fail at 2 bar on old cylinders when attempts to pressurise old CH systems in place of the gravity fed header tank.
--
cerberus

C,

I hear your concerns, but the new cylinders I have examined seem to
Cerberus worries .........

If we are going to be serious about this it could be done through a heat exchanger like solar panels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way, are you one of the Cerberus Salts?
Mike
--
Mike Whittome

Andrew Mawson Wrote:

Steal an idea from the geothermal people and bury a plastic 'slinky about 1.8 metres down in the garden. The Temperature will be constant 50F, and the plastic pipe seems to be rated for 10 bar/ 70 c. The only problem I can see is you increase the amount of antifreez required. Use a manifold and you can use smaller diameter pipe t increase the heat loss.
No maintenance, no storage problem and it will even help the weeds gro in winter.
Robi
-- rss ----------------------------------------------------------------------- rsss's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?up10 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?tE935
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 20:15:21 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

I think it's time you built a nice water feature (or, as it will get heated up, maybe a hot tub). You could use this as a secondary cooler for your main cooling circuit. A chap at our local ME club used to work for a company that built locomotive diesel engines and they had three very large ponds outside to do the same thing (less heat, but over much longer periods -24/7 testing).
Regards Kevin