Loosing 17KW

Oh Yes!, and everyone will have to employ a qualified electrical inspector before they can even put their house on the market, lots of lovely money for the few that have the right paperwork 8-)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Of course those, "qualified electrical inspectors", that regard it as a source of lovely money by way of cursory inspections may be wise to have lots & lots of public liability insurance..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

You have to have insurance in order to get into one of the domestic installer schemes such as NICEIC or NAPIT, without which you can't legally do any significant remedial work. But who said anything about a cursory inspection?, that used to be the way but now the inspector has been made so liable, and vulnerable to losing his registration, there is less likelihood of such shoddy work. At least that's the theory, and it does seem to be working though it's early days for the new regulations.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

How about the oil / water coolers used by some high performance cars, oil side should be good for 120 + psi, then use tap water for the other side.

If you can't find what you want, contact me, I know firms that make industrial heat exchangers to order for applications like yours.

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Is this state, by any chance, a result of the fact that the body making up the rules is one and the same as the body that represents the interests of electricians - or am I just a conspiracy theorist?

I've nothing against older set ups needing rewiring (pre WWII) because standards move and wring degrades but 20 years - hell that's only

1986. I have shoes older than that! If you sell a 20 year old car you don't have retrofit airbags just to be "safe".

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Glad about that. In our last house the socket we had the washing machine plugged into was wired L&N the wrong way round by the qualified electrician.

Reply to
Steve

I have checked the insulation resistances within the last 12 months, no problem there.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

electrician.

I know of a school where all the sockets in the labs were reversed for years until someone spotted it, things do need to improve and that's exactly why the government has basically done for electricians what it did for gas installers when CORGI arrived, the difference is that there is a real choice of 5 schemes available to the electrician, and another 5 for people who fit kitchens etc, so it's not a closed shop.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Not many householders can say the same though, can they, and believe me an installation can deteriorate in a very few years, or instantly if a diyer is involved!.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Yes the IEE makes up the wiring regs, but they do not make up the building regs, and it is the long overdue incluson of wiring in those (Part P) that has forced the changes, though of course the IEE was all in favour of the changes 8-).

Actually it's badly back fired on the IEE because a lot of members have or are going to resign in protest because they were not automatically granted the status they THINK they deserve, and few electricians have registered on the IEE's scheme, most going for NICEIC or NAPIT.

No, but it has to pass an MOT before anyone can drive it, and that's effectively what is going to happen with houses. Think yourself lucky that they don't force all householders to have a valid certificate as they do for all vehicles...

Greg

Reply to
Greg

For gods sake don't let anyone hear you saying things like that. This meddling nanny state we live in needs no help in dreaming up stupid schemes.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Well call me a criminal, but I'll just be satisfied with doing and testing my own work in accordance with the current edition of the Regs, The house work that I did 15 years ago was to the 15th edition and the workshop is being done to the 16th edition. I'm a competent person according to the Regs but not according to the latest part P closed shop.

Mark Rand Bsc Hons. Electrical Engineering RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Is this a poll?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Just how many UKers get electrocuted each year due to faulty wiring or faulty workmanship?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

represents

theorist?

registered on

that's

Ah - but it all started when the relative of a labour MP got electrocuted having screwed up a bracket in the kitchen and drilled through a cable. THEN legislation came in. Funny how much more you notice things close to home!!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

No just curious as to how few incidents affect the many.

Like in December we exited Hawaii, everyone had to remove shoes for x-ray. From memory there's been only one shoe bomb incident.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Somehow I don't make the "connection"

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

Tom I didn't realise Hawaii was closed.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

According to HSE 30 are killed per year at work.

According to another source there are also 30 deaths in the home.
Funny it being the same figure, so it could be 30 or 60 over a population of 60- 1/2 million. so 0.0000049% or 0.0000099% depending on which figure is correct

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I'd put money on more than half of those home deaths being from portable appliances (faulty appliances or people chopping through lawnmower cables) rather than fixed wiring faults.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech