Loosing 17KW

a] yes b] yes c] don't think so

But not as bad as working a with a certified Electrical engineer [ with 5 city and guilds ] who didn't touch, but got too close to a

33,000 volt 3 amp laser supply. It jumped about 10" and hit him on the thumb, traveled down his arm and exited at the elbow about 6" to the frame of the machine. Exit wound was like a gunshot exit wound but surprisingly he survived, probably because it didn't pass thru his body.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

survived,

But John, you have missed the point !!!! He was QUALIFIED so the electrons treated him with due respect and spared his life. Lesser mortals like you and me would perish unless supervised by an avuncular Greg

In fact it's very odd how on earth we have survived as long as we have.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

They make you a complacent cager.

I advocate every car should have no seat-belts for the driver, rather a

6" spike coming straight out of the steering wheel. That should make for safer roads.
Reply to
Jim Crowther

It's, that down to earth attitude, that leads to your current existence..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

"Peter Scales" wrote >

B :-) Lost count of the jolts, the only one that really mattered was the one when my hand got caught, and a patch of skin on the back of it got fried...

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

They didn't miss my son's wirecutters left in his bag from an electronics class...

Reply to
Steve

That explains it! (The old family tradition of NEVER hiring anyone with a C&G certificate)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Same way as you got off topic off as to how to dump 17kw..

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Well, as C&G is the only qualification of competence recognised by the new law you're unlikely to be able to hire an electrician ever again, nor a gas fitter for that matter.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Well this thread has degenerated hasn't it, you're now all trying to prove that there's 'nawt rong wi a good shock'. Presumably you're the same sort of people who think the rules of the road only apply to lesser beings than yourselves who don't have your skills, after all most car accidents aren't fatal so what's the problem!.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

In 20 years of building electrical equipment and fault finding, much of which required live working, the odd mistake is understandable... I do isolate equipment I am working on whenever I can, but at times you have to stick a meter on a live part to find out what is happening.

Should we re name these OT posts in a new thread ?

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

You're right and wrong again. Right that C&G is recognised by the new - wrong that it's the only evidence competence I need to accept!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Read the words:- " is being done to the 16th edition. I'm a competent person according to the Regs"

I don't make mistakes.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 14:54:58 +0000, Mark Rand wrote: Also if you take out the

Are you stating for a fact that the scheme has built-in compensation should the 'competent person' do faulty work that his own insurers wouldn't cover?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Well that's the way I read it, at any rate the schemes force contractors to have insurance, without them there is no certainty that the do have, in fact an awful lot didn't....

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Absolute tosh. I can set ANY standard I like for the competence of the electricians I choose to employ.

FACT.

Reply to
Steve

But the scheme itself doesn't have any built-in compensation plan, which was what seemed to be inferred in your post?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Not legally you can't, all the facts about part P of the building regs are well explained on the web, try the government:

the most popular competent persons schemes:
Yes a company can employ an electrician without assessed competence BUT must also have fully competent staff to supervise him and inspect and test his work to ensure it meets the reg, and the company must be registered with a competent persons scheme who will assess their competent staff.

Of course if the company does not do ANY domestic work they are exempt from this, though most expect industrial work to be brought under control in the future.

Also a company could, theoretically, not register and just declare every job they do to for the building regulatory department of the local council to inspect, but this would make them twice the price of any other firm so I very much doubt anyone has even tried it. And even if they did, they would have to employ people who did work to the regs or they would fail the inspections and have to repeat the work, so the effect is just the same. And of course I did mention this route but you chose to cut it.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

The way I understand it yes it does, to quote from NICEIC:

"All complaints falling within the scope of the NICEIC complaints procedure will be investigated and where a complaint is substantiated, the deficiency will be rectified at no additional cost to you."

That sounds like a compensation plan to me, though whether it extends to consequential damages I could not say. Greg

Reply to
Greg

OK, but that refers specifically to the NICIEC complaints procedure. How does that relate to contractors who may not fall under that scheme/system but who 'do' meet the criteria?

I'm not totally au fait with this new system, just following up on what you have posted to the newsgroup so far.

Peter

Peter A Forbes