Loosing 17KW

The pollution tests are age graded. For pre 75 vehicles the test is visual - ie is it creating it's own smoke cloud. No probes. No graphs.

I said hazards. The vehicle has to be made after 1986 for those to be mandatory. From 1936 most vehicles did come with indicators from new. Many had the old semaphores that admitmittedy are less visible than a hand stuck out of the window!

If that lethal the we're all living on borrowed time!

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Homes ARE lethal. By far the most likely place to have an accident, life-threatening or otherwise, is in the home.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Working on a very big heat exchanger, by any chance?

Dad was mostly over in the reprocessing plant, but not always. As a schoolkid, I used to wonder why he was working on hydrogen detection in water. Then one day our chemistry teacher dropped a little bit of sodium into a large beaker of water...

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Gawd, what a lot of Ukuleles around here! And one guy in Devon with a washboard. Anyone got a tea chest?

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

If you get a phase-earth shock without one it could well be fatal, especially for a child, with one it's very unlikely to be.

Well it's your choice Tom, an RCD can be fitted to the ring quite easily, if you have a modern consumer unit you can just replace the MCB with an RCBO, otherwise a small additional box is all that is needed. If your families safety isn't worth that then so be it, but most people don't make an informed choice because they simply don't understand.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Just remind me how long household supply was available before the advent of rcds?

BTW, what vehicle do you drive?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Got to be a Volvo or the Popemobile if God will allow him.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Or a Reliant?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

fatal,

Leave the poor bloke alone. Greg is obviously one of lifes worriers and is happy with something to worry about. The end of the world is neigh

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

RCDs have been around for decades, they were just too expensive to use as standard, except for TT supplies in rural areas which used high current versions. They are now dirt cheap so why fight against something that improves safety?

A Polo, with a 4 airbags and god knows how many other safety features that have only recently become economic to fit, what's your objection to safety devices?

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Ah yes that old usenet tradition, if you've lost a debate then start slagging people off 8-)

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Yes for Gawd's sake leave him alone, then perhaps he'll go to RCM where they appreciate this sort of doom mongering a bit more!! Get a grip Greg, this is the sort of thinking that lost us the Empire dontchaknow?

----------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com

jrlloyd

I have no objection to safety per se, but you tend to be rather dogmatic in voicing your opinion. I've survived this long by use of safe practice in both things electrical and motoring. As regards airline travel I put myself in the hands of those that practice the same. So, unlike you perhaps, I never bother to ask for a parachute at checkin. Or are you still waiting for an ejector-seat airliner?

I'm totally shocked that you cannot enumerate the safety features of your Polo, totally out of character.

BTW, I just checked out rcd prices and around 60 quid would allow me to throw a couple in Chez Martin circuits to assuage your safety sensibilities, mind you, that's about 6 doz quarts of good ale, bit of a tough decision with the temps in the 30s C at present..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Tom, It's all water under the bridge anyway. I had a read of the reg's and it only applies to household dwellings. Says bugger all about workshops and similar premises so if we stay in the workshop and play with our nasty 440v machines there is nothing these doom mongers can do.

BTW, no need for a parachute at check in. Ask to sit next to the black box, they always find that bugger. Either that or sit at the rear. So far there hasn't been one recorded incident of a passenger aircraft reversing into a mountain.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Don't RCDs have problems with 3-phase inverters ? I've read somewhere that you're supposed to use a special type (but don't know why or how it differs frome the bog-standard ones).

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

So I can go and play with the 10 hp vfd that was donated to the shed, yesterday. Good stuff. Actually thinking of remoting it into the roof space..

As for air travel, I would rather rely on the pilots' self-preservation instincts and sit where I get to stretch out.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Pass, I'm sure that Greg will provide edification..

Chez Martin does not include the shed where 440v rules and men practice safe practice. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

.....mmm... very odd, I've not actually entered this particular debate about your safety concerns other than to start the original posting (which you have rather highjacked) and tell you what I'm doing. As to slagging off, believe me the above is not slagging off. If you want slagging off stick arround abit and carry on as you are .......

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Can I dispose of the packing boxes for the 440V connectors now? Assume you don't need to return any of them?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Assume you don't

Peter,

Yes thanks they are abolutely fine. Please follow though with that invoice when you can.

Many thanks for your assistance,

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson