Great Dorset - Need to know about the auctions/stuff for sale

I'd like to know more about the fair, because I know it's a big event, and one of my main reasons for going is so that I can get my filthy hands on some more rusty old iron.

Are there auctions or sales?

If someone would explain about the sales/auctions/whatever that would be much appreciated. :)

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Thanks a lot for explaining that to me John.

So, on these miles of traders, will I find engines along there? I'm only really after an engine to restore, maybe a pulley for my D, maybe some iron wheels lol. I should have about 4-5 hundred to spend on an engine, i'd prefer not to spend all of this, but if theres an Amanco of any sort I doubt i'll be able to resist lol.

Maybe i'll go to Honiton instead/as well then.

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Chris, I'd honestly wait until the Sodbury Sort out in November. It might seem a long way off at this time, but it's only ten weeks or so and it is more or less dedicated to engines, farm equipment etc. It's not an auction and you can pick up some amazingly cheap stuff ( I bought a Reliant fire pump, all complete etc less hoses for eighty odd quid), no VAT, no buyers premium.

And you've got that much longer to save up;o)).

Just my four penn'orth ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Where's the Sodbury sort out then Kim? As long as someone posts saying it's soon so I don't forget I don't really mind, after all, good things come to those who wait, hehe. You know all I really want is an Amanco :)

I guess you are right, i'll see if I can find something to fiddle with until then, or work on getting my D at a rally, i've not been an exhibitor yet! Currently working on my replica trolley.

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Stourpaine sale too well attended by filthy rich southeners to find many bargains :-) I used to buy there, but not for 20 years or so. Probably a brilliant place to sell, depending on commission rates etc.

The jumble is just that. Some good buys to be found, but I have found SE stuff to be very expensive there -- lots of chancers amongst the traders. Amancos for £800 for unrestored dogs etc. Very little big stuff, even of 5hp.

Have found the jumble excellent for books, tools, workshop kit inc lathes etc etc. Couldn't believe how little the guy in front of me last year paid for a bench-mounted ten inch South Bend with a 48" bed & a mass of tooling. I've got a 9 inch, so was keen on the tooling, but thought it would be too much for me (inc dividing head, taper turning attachment, steadies etc etc). The whole lot went for the realistic price for a couple of steadies .......... & I had the right kit with me to get it home!

Sodbury excellent, & much less frenetic. Only bore is getting there at 0830hrs, & finding out that you can't get in 'til close to 1100hrs. Much less in the way of chancers, mainly enthusiasts clearing out at reasonable prices -- & enthusiasts buying, rather than investors / resellers. Big "SE family" atmosphere.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne

I heartily agree. The engine prices on the stalls are so ludicrous as to be beyond the reach of even filthy-rich southerners. There are some bargains to be had on the stalls. The auction attracts those with big wads so I don't even bother these days. The autojumbles at Wessex, Sodbury and Enstone (and many more) are a much better place to buy. Details of all will be found in SEM in Sep and Oct no doubt. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

It's just finding one that's the problem! :(

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White