Brand new BSA industrial engines for sale

Hi,
We've been clearing an old warehouse recently and have unearthed the following brand new BSA stationary industrial engines. Yes, they may be
over 40 years old but they have never had oil or fuel in them and have certainly never been used.
Models as follows: MOD 50B MOD 90 (87cc) 120 SV 1200 HV 420cc SV
Offer are invited for individual engines or the whole lot. Viewings by appointment please.
Regards,
Chris.
--
Chris Davenport
Joint General Manager

Where??
I'd most certainly be interested in the 420cc SV, the one on my Howard rotavator will almost certainly never go again....
Cheers Tim
Add pictures here
✖
Me too, I could do with a 420 for the Lee Howl pump. It was dismantled twenty years ago and bits have vanished in the interim. Any chance of a photo or three Chris?
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Add pictures here
✖

I phoned Davenports. The engines are in Shrewsbury and they are expecting about £100 each. The best person to ask for is Gordon Davenport. Viewing is by arrangement. Is £100 reasonable? I suppose the unused status is rare these days.
John
##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader http://www.internalfire.com Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
Ah. Thanks for that John, very useful to know.
For about a hundred quid, I could get a brand new Honda stationary engine of equivalent power.
If one wanted a cheap genny, decent 1000w Chinese-built ones are around for that.
I must say I think that is a very hopeful toe in the water by Davenports for an engine that has no warranty, no spares back up and no kudos either! Too expensive, in my most humble opinion - I'd have thought forty quid was about right.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
All politicians are like nappies . . . . .
You need to change them regularly - and for the same reason.

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:15:01 -0000, "Kim Siddorn"

Probably with VAT to be added, but I don't think that's a bad price actually, for a genuine 'vintage' engine. After all, Lister D's go for £130+ and they are all secondhand.
I haven't got a use for one, in fact the one I had (220cc IIRC) I dontaed to eric Brain a year or so ago, but I'd have one at that price if I was in the market. They do have a certain rarity value compared with the Petter A1's etc.
Peter -- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Luton, UK snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk http://www.prepair.co.uk
Add pictures here
✖
Idiots pay 130 for a D on Ebay when they can be had in the physical world for 15-30. Doesn't make em worth that. ttfn Roland

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:40:22 -0000, "Roland and Celia Craven"

http://www.prepair.co.uk
Add pictures here
✖
It's true that Lister D's sometimes make £130 odd on e-bay - if they are on a trolley and going. It is also true that manky ones, falling over in the rain at a farm sale can be picked up (only figuratively speaking!) for a couple of grubby tenners.
A nice Petter A1 fettled up with a lick of paint and on a steering trolley might make a similar figure - although, that said, there's on up there now in its last fifteen minutes for under fifty quid, so what do I know?
But Lister D's were in production for forty years and "old school". Petter A1's are from the same mould, heavy, long-lasting and entry level for the new enthusiast or air cooled nuts like me. You see both in the line up at rallies all the time. And BSA's? A BSA air cooled, die-cast engine is not old enough in spirit or design to be desirable and not well enough thought of to be sought after as a work horse. It's the sort of thing you give away to someone who might use it, but just as likely it will sit in his garage for years too!
These new old stock engines have, as I said, no back up on warranty, spares or manuals and no particular pedigree. Thanks but no thanks ;o))
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Add pictures here
✖

spares
You really don't like my choice in engines do you Kim. I have 2 BSAs now having bought my second one last summer. There was a manual on the Internal Fire web site before Paul withdrew them.
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:03:14 -0000, Kim Siddorn wrote:

But surely that applies to the ancient Listers and Petters as well but these new old stock have the edge in being just that, new. So one would hope that after a bit of TLC to remove any coagulated grease or oil after 40 years of storage and care in use they would actually perform pretty well.
I know SFA about them but if one had 6hp output at a sensible RPM for an alternator it could be a decent start to a genset. Mind I wouldn't want to paying £100 for it...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Kim Siddorn wrote:

I would agree with you Kim the balls would have damaged the outers.
Martin P
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:47:23 -0000, Kim Siddorn wrote:

Does ball bearing steel "creep"? I take the "never had oil in them" to mean that they have never been filled with oil and turned over let alone started. There will be the assembly oil/grease of course.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
✖
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Reminds me of a saying:
If you want good clean quality oats, you have to pay a good price. For those that have already been through the horse, well, they do come cheaper! :-)
Tom
Add pictures here
✖

However this doesn't (amazingly) apply to coffee beans and civet cats.
Add pictures here
✖

Well, that certainly stirred up rather more interest that I was expecting.
Yes, the engines are in Shrewsbury, the full address and contact details are in the signature to this message. Viewings are by appointment because we need to make sure that our BSA expert, Gordon Davenport, is available as no-one else here will know enough about these engines to offer any sensible assistance.
The figure of £100 arose because someone contacted us prior to posting the original message and we made a stab in the dark about what they might be worth. They still have first refusal on the ones they were interested in. We have no fixed prices, though naturally we will try to get the best price we can. They will go for whatever someone is willing to pay for them. In the end, I'd far rather they go to a collector than the scrap heap. Incidentally, we have about 20 units in total.
We will need to charge VAT as I doubt we would be able to convince the VAT-man that this is a private sale. However, this should not make any difference to buyers. A buyer will decide what he/she is prepared to pay in total; it's our responsibility to give the VAT-man his percentage.
In view of the interest Gordon will be sorting and cataloguing over the Christmas break and I should be able to post more detailed information in the New Year. But please feel free to get in touch beforehand and we will try our best to answer any questions.
Regards and Merry Christmas,
Chris.
--
Chris Davenport