Does somebody take posts off of this newsgroup if they don't like them?

Last night I posted a caution about using overpriced electric heaters to heat the shop. It never appeared. Where did it go? Can someone take negative posts off the NG? If so, why do they allow posts that "dis" Harbor Freight or those that tell horror stories about tools, etc.?

I thought I had done a good job of using facts provided to me by the media that ran one of the ads.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

I am not aware of any process that would eliminate messages in this newsgroup based on their content.

I did not see the messages that you are mentioning.

Reply to
Ignoramus28270

"I just saw the TV ad for the "Heat Surge" (free if you buy the Amish enclosure for $289 Plus S&H) for the umteenth time. They said at the end of the ad that ---not to worry, it is safe since it uses no more power than the average coffee maker--. Okay, so why not just use your coffee maker for the heat and save ALL the purchase price? "

jw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I heat my shop with electric... but first it goes into running the machines and then all winds up as heat except for the energy used to put stresses in the metals I machine. 900 bucks gives off a lot of heat. I do have a backup fuel oil and propane furnace.

John

Reply to
john

Your usenet provider may be filtering or the next feed up. Supernews was very good at it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

It appeared here.

Presumably all the places it was supposed to.

Yes and no.

Just because someone can, doesn't mean someone did.

Irrelevant to article cancellation... especially when it never happened. ;-)

Reply to
Steve Ackman

On my comp , your post showed up at 6:49 PM yesterday . Not all news servers are created equal ... there have been times when my posts didn't ever show up , but responses to them did . Some times there are gaps in threads , sometimes everything works perfectly . As far as I know , the only one that can remove a post is the person that wrote it - and I may be wrong , there's probably a way around that .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Your original post is still visible through Google Groups:

guillemd

spaco wrote in news:ufudnfxmnbz9uR_UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Dou you mean the one that started out with

"I just saw the TV ad for the "Heat Surge" (free if you buy the Amish enclosure for $289 Plus S&H) for the umteenth time. They said at the end of the ad that ---not to worry, it is safe since it uses no more power than the average coffee maker--. Okay, so why not just use your coffee maker for the heat and save ALL the purchase price?"?

If so, then have you plonked yourself?

Some services don't post everything instantly - I've seen as much as 30 minutes pass before some of mine show up - but they dventually do.

Reply to
RAM³

good at it.

Agreed, it might have been tagged as Spam and flushed by an over-eager filter.

Post a MessageID number, and we can find it, look at the Path: headers to ID the route it took through the IntarWebs ;-) and see if there's a pattern.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. For some reason my server isn't letting this post through to me. I am glad that my post did get to the rest of you. Thanks to "quillemd" for the link to Google groups where I can see these replies.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------- spaco wrote:

Reply to
spaco

You mean this one? I show it as 1/28/09 posted at 19:49

I just saw the TV ad for the "Heat Surge" (free if you buy the Amish enclosure for $289 Plus S&H) for the umteenth time. They said at the end of the ad that ---not to worry, it is safe since it uses no more power than the average coffee maker--. Okay, so why not just use your coffee maker for the heat and save ALL the purchase price?

Is anybody else as ticked off as I am about these people scamming the public?

The "Edin Pure" heater advertised in the AARP mag says it'll save "up to 50%" on your heating bill, while the "heat surge" only offers a 20% savings. Of course, the difference must be due to the fact that the Edin Pure costs $389 and, NO wooden cabinet.

BYW, here's what Edin Pure apparently told AARP's advertising dept. about their "savings" research": With regard to the savings claim:

7.8% responded they saved 50% or greater. 29.4% responded they saved 25-50% 41.2% responded they saved 10-25%

Yah- for those with calculators, I wonder what the missing 21.6% had to say! ?????

I wrote to AARP to complain that they are ripping off the very people (us retired people) that they claim to protect. They simply (apparently) asked Edin Pure if everything they claimed was true and guess what, Edin Pure said it was. So, end of story, Pete. We will keep on taking the money from the full page ad while continuing to bilk the readership without doing any serious investigation.

"Boo" AARP!!!

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Steve W.

Saw it too. The answer is that, like a coffee maker, it will heat up a space equivalent to a coffee cup :-) Why would laws od physics not apply to this wonder?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Pete, let me share something with you. And I'm not paranoid.............

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!

Steve ........ it's not paranoia if they really ARE out to get you. Pass the aluminum foil.

Reply to
SteveB

My MIL bought one. She also swears that if you keep ANYTHING in the refrigerator, it won't go bad. You can keep spaghetti eight months, and so long as it's been in the Fridge, she'll pull it out and serve it. TO YOU.

"Oh, I don't want any, I just ate," she'll say.

"I don't eat green spaghetti," I'll say.

If you can't tell me when you made it, I ain't eating it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not your post nor any replies are on my server (NewsGuy) either. WTF? I wonder how much else I miss 'cause the OP sees it, so doesn't ask about it, but I don't.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I don't know that there is a specific reason why you don't see posts, Pete, but I suspect that there are possibly dozens of reasons why some messages don't look like they've made it out onto any network.

This hack/spitWindows machine and newsreader (and my previous machines using windows) routinely miss picking up posts and replies.

If my machine is off for a day, I won't see posts from that day unless I go check the Goog RCM postings. I know this isn't operating properly, don't know why, and get a little crazy(ier) trying to figure out software issues, especially when retreiving messages from a network should be a very simple operation. I'm not interested in wasting another second of my time trying to find out why this crap doesn't work.

I've seen news articles that stated that about 1M homes are without electrical power in the past few days, and I would assume that some networks have had interruptions, too.

Someone mentioned that they may not see their posts for a long as 30 minutes, as though they meant that they alwas see them, but sometimes with a delay.

I've posted messages that just seem to evaporate, never to be seen. Other times, the Send hiccups and makes two identical posts.

The most reliable method I know of, to see if a message/post makes it to the upper levels is to check the Goog RCM postings.

If you put your name/ID in the Author space, and rec.crafts.metalworking in the Group space, and choose a specific period of time in the Message Dates space, you might then be able to save a shortcut to those results.

Lately, I've been making a shortcut to show all my postings and replies for the first thru the last day of each month. That allows me to see if I miss replies, and gives me the opportunity to thank someone for their reply, when I would normally not know that they had offered some help.

I know two guys that have the Eden type heaters, and I agree the makers are deceptive, but it's anything for a buck these days, and any way that buck can be gotten seems to SOP anymore.

It's about the same as the bullshit marketing that was used to sell thermal windows with the pitch that they would pay for themselves. New windows can be very leaky and still qualify for the Energy star and other ratings/approvals.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

How is your relationship with your MIL in general? Does she only serve these antique dishes to you, or to other people as well? Is there a correlation with those other people being, for instance, other SILs, disliked coworkers, etc? If so, any fatalities?

Someone who established a pattern of trying to serve me food they weren't themselves willing to eat would make me nervous....

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

More importantly, why do they allow all the political spew? Horror stories about tools, or about Harbor Freight are at least on topic.

Absolutely.

Also, the administrator of the news server on which the article was originally posted can cancel it. But this is very seldom done, only when you have a good news admin who has spotted a spam spew from his server.

It sounds as though you are being a bit paranoid to think that people canceled your articles.

DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I saw your post, Pete. 'Course, I'm not very far from you.

Reply to
Don Foreman