Does somebody take posts off of this newsgroup if they don't like them?

Last night I posted a caution about using overpriced electric heaters to heat the shop. It never appeared. Where did it go? Can someone
take negative posts off the NG? If so, why do they allow posts that "dis" Harbor Freight or those that tell horror stories about tools, etc.?
I thought I had done a good job of using facts provided to me by the media that ran one of the ads.
Pete Stanaitis

I am not aware of any process that would eliminate messages in this newsgroup based on their content.
I did not see the messages that you are mentioning.

"I just saw the TV ad for the "Heat Surge" (free if you buy the Amish enclosure for $289 Plus S&H) for the umteenth time. They said at the end of the ad that ---not to worry, it is safe since it uses no more power than the average coffee maker--. Okay, so why not just use your coffee maker for the heat and save ALL the purchase price? "
jw
Jim Wilkins wrote:

I heat my shop with electric... but first it goes into running the machines and then all winds up as heat except for the energy used to put stresses in the metals I machine. 900 bucks gives off a lot of heat. I do have a backup fuel oil and propane furnace.
John
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Saw it too. The answer is that, like a coffee maker, it will heat up a space equivalent to a coffee cup :-) Why would laws od physics not apply to this wonder?
--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

My MIL bought one. She also swears that if you keep ANYTHING in the refrigerator, it won't go bad. You can keep spaghetti eight months, and so long as it's been in the Fridge, she'll pull it out and serve it. TO YOU.
"Oh, I don't want any, I just ate," she'll say.
"I don't eat green spaghetti," I'll say.
If you can't tell me when you made it, I ain't eating it.
Steve

How is your relationship with your MIL in general? Does she only serve these antique dishes to you, or to other people as well? Is there a correlation with those other people being, for instance, other SILs, disliked coworkers, etc? If so, any fatalities?
Someone who established a pattern of trying to serve me food they weren't themselves willing to eat would make me nervous....

To paraphrase an old time advice columnist "Eat it, it's like penicillin." ;)
dennis in nca
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Exactly. All electric heaters are virtually 100% efficient. It is easy to turn electricity into heat, very hard to turn it into anything else without some of the electric energy coming out as heat. Those heaters are a scam. I am trying to convince people of this, but the usual response is, "if it were not true, they wouldn't let them put that in the paper."

Thanks, Don. The incandescent light bulb is also 100% efficient. It is also an electricity to heat converter. The lack of efficiency is in the human eyesight being limited to a narrow band of electromagnetic wavelengths.
Our home is heated with heat pump and backed up with electric furnace. Any incandescent light turned on contributes 100% to the home heating. The down side is it also contributes when we don't need the heat!
When I try to explain all this to a tree hugger, their eyes just glaze over. Can't be true because their leader says it's not.
Paul

You're thinking about this in the same terms I was, and I still think it's the honest way to approach it. But as several people mentioned here, you could claim to save energy costs with one of these things if you use it for local room heating, and lower your general household temperature.
Not having seen the ads it isn't clear if they're including that fact, or if they're implying that they're talking about lowering costs for heating the whole house. The way the FTC interprets the law, if you imply something that isn't true, even without stating it explicitly, your ad is fraudulent.
-- Ed Huntress
Right on, Don ! Even more eficient than (incandescent) electric lights. Did you ever wonder why light bulbs are rated in Watts ? AFAIK, there is no conversion from Watts to lumens.
Bob Swinney
Jim Wilkins wrote:

Exactly. All electric heaters are virtually 100% efficient. It is easy to turn electricity into heat, very hard to turn it into anything else without some of the electric energy coming out as heat. Those heaters are a scam. I am trying to convince people of this, but the usual response is, "if it were not true, they wouldn't let them put that in the paper."
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:28:18 -0600, "Robert Swinney"

That part is true - Resistance electric heat when viewed all by itself in a vacuum is pretty efficient.
But the problem is the INefficiency inherent in generating the electricity and getting it from the power plant to your house. Heat losses in firing the boiler, and turning the generator, and running the cooling tower and all the auxilliaries.
If you are getting "Cheap" electricity from geothermal, or solar, or hydroelectric, or pumped storage hydroelectric you still have to build and maintain and operate the plants.
Then you have transformer losses at several points as you boost the voltage up for long distance transmission, and all the resistive and corona leakage losses along the transmission lines. And then transforming the voltage back down in several steps for distribution, till the customer sees it as 120/240V. And you PAY FOR every bit of that inefficiency as part of the power bill.
If you burn natural gas in a furnace in your basement to get heat, you get at least twice as much actual heat (if not three times) than you would if you burned the same quantity of natural gas in a powerplant boiler half a state away, and an electric heater element in the same heating system.
(You do a bit better running a Heat Pump in a mild climate, but not much - and only in mild climates. When it gets below about 45-F outside the efficiency falls off and by 35-F you have to switch to resistance heat. The outside evaporator core ices over.)
And you have to pay for the cost of running the powerplant and building the power lines on top of paying for the gas they used.
--<< Bruce >>--

I have a machine at work with a 5Kva transformer to turn 480 into 120v to run an assembly station. I'm used to seeing tranformers run hot but this thing, running only a small plc rack and a pc with monitor is doing 68C at this time of the year. It runs a torque gun also but I'm speaking of idle temperature with the gun not in use.
Input voltage is right, output correct. Ammeter was at home so I didn't get current values but, visually, there isn't that much load based on what is in the cabinet.
68C seems a bit outside of normal. Comments?
Thanks,
Wes
-- "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -- PJ O'Rourke

Take the amp-clamp and compare it - preferably against an identical assembly station that isn't running hot.
I'll bet there's a defect in the transformer like shorted turns, or something funky with the laminations, and the energy being lost is turned into heat. Look at the output voltages and currents at idle and under moderate load, they should be balkanced if it's a 120X240V secondary.
--<< Bruce >>-

I'll give it a look Monday. I looked up the transformer and it is rated at 135C rise. That itself seems nuts. That is a lot of wasted energy.
Wes wrote:

Is it something like this, where the core is operated partially in saturation for voltage regulation purposes?
http://www.sola-hevi-duty.com/products/transformers/distribution/general.html#1PHSelectionTables
--Winston

Your usenet provider may be filtering or the next feed up. Supernews was very good at it.
Wes

Agreed, it might have been tagged as Spam and flushed by an over-eager filter.
Post a MessageID number, and we can find it, look at the Path: headers to ID the route it took through the IntarWebs ;-) and see if there's a pattern.
--<< Bruce >>--
15:50:31 -0600, spaco, snipped-for-privacy@baldwin-telecom.net wrote:

It appeared here.

Presumably all the places it was supposed to.

Yes and no. http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/cancel-faq/part1 /

Just because someone can, doesn't mean someone did.

Irrelevant to article cancellation... especially when it never happened. ;-)
--
☯☯