Ready For Take Off !

CONTACT !

Spaceflight industry ready for takeoff

Startups reach out to investors interested in money, not just glory. Doug Benc / AP file

XCOR is one of several space startups trying to develop private-sector space travel.

Alan Boyle/Science editor/MSNBC

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. - The private spaceflight industry got its start on the wings of angels - rich men like Paul Allen, who spent more than $20 million on the SpaceShipOne to win a $10 million prize and a place in history. But even angels can fly alone for only so long. The people who rely on those space angels say it's now time for their industry to go to the next stage of development, in which investors are in it for the money as well as the glory. "We're hopefully moving soon toward a situation where institutional investors start looking at this industry," said Rich Pournelle, a spokesman for XCOR Aerospace in Mojave, Calif. "Angel investors don't want to be the only ones funding a company. They're always looking for critical mass." Pournelle and two of XCOR's angel investors say they see signs that the critical mass is coming closer - in the success of SpaceShipOne, in the resulting multimillion-dollar deal with Virgin founder Richard Branson for a fleet of SpaceShipTwos, and in last year's enactment of a law that at last could open the way for private-sector space passengers. Dot-com spotlight Yet another sign comes this week, in the form of a conference that puts private spaceflight as well as personal aviation in a spotlight more typically reserved for blossoming dot-com ventures. The Flight School conference is being presented by Esther Dyson, one of the computer industry's movers and shakers, as an add-on to the annual PC Forum she's conducted since 1983. Dyson admits she's no expert on space, but she hopes she can contribute by bringing together investors and market opportunities - just as she has in other tech sectors. "The thing that really excites me is what excited me about PCs and the Internet," she told MSNBC.com earlier this week as she was headed to the event in Scottsdale. "It's people doing something new and taking risks." Some space-industry observers note that the Flight School isn't exactly breaking new ground. For years, the annual Space Access conference in Phoenix has brought together rocket-builders and investors. But XCOR's Pournelle welcomes the added attention nonetheless. Institutional venture capitalists, or VCs, haven't yet taken much of an interest in startup aerospace companies, Pournelle said. "Most of the aerospace institutional capital is midmarket and up - nothing under $10 million in [annual] revenue," he said. The federal government is about the only source for those kinds of contracts, either through NASA or the military. "That has to change if we're going to see significant growth in the industry," Pournelle said. Dyson said venture capitalists were indeed beginning to take note. "We do have a bunch of VCs coming, but it's certainly not your typical Mayfield or Kleiner Perkins," she said. From the mouths of angels Two of XCOR's angel investors said they also sensed a change in the air. "The giggle factor has definitely gone away, and that's a huge reason why real financial people will talk to you," said Joe Pistritto, who counts himself as the second outside investor to put money into XCOR. "The industry has suddenly become real." Lee Valentine, who has been an angel investor in robotics and the computer industry as well as space ventures, recalled the reaction he used to get when he lobbied for private spaceflight on Capitol Hill. "People looked at us like, 'Oh, surely you're smoking something. Only governments can fly in space,'" he said. Then came SpaceShipOne.

Tech/Science

=A92005 MSNBC.com MSN - More Useful Everyday MSNBC NEWS

=AEoy~>

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

OKay, what did you think it was about ?

}:-{)Some kind of Hair Brain Alien Humor , this New Space Travel option is truely Bonded to Earth and aiming High.

Anyone witnessed or is close to this Subject.

Roy Q.T.

(me first?) distant eyes & ears only.

rqt

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

At ~>

Roy Q.T.

I recently completed an assignment on hydrogen cooled turbo alternators. In course of my research I stumbled upon a jap project website, where you could purchase plans to produce what is crudely put - a backyard rocket of 20 metric tons n about 10m diam. 20m high (from memory) - CLAMING to be a lunar module for four, take off from gound and re-entry capable . I googled that one, one of the first search results too - not quite my assignments subject matter but none the less interesting. dammit! Ima gonna hav to dig that one up and get me facts straight - i gotta know... I THINK it whistled to the tune of $30mil.

I would like to know more - relating to that posting ot urs. There is persistent rumours of a take off platform being built in my backyard of Queensland OZ. Apparently this proj is being spear headed by private sector but I don't know whom. I would love to get involved - that article you highlighted is an inspiration to myself.

Also while cruising another group tonight - I found an offer from Mr. 'Galactic Virgin' Branson. Win a space flight! Interested...

leelee snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net... CONTACT !

[...]

©2005 MSNBC.com MSN - More Useful Everyday MSNBC NEWS ®oy~>
Reply to
Lee Kozaczynski

The Cape York space port scam has been around for ages. It is the old scam of private business saying to the government that if you give us hundreds of acres of public land on Cape York, we will build a commercial space port and make everyone rich. And if it fails, then we will just build condominiums for the rich and tourists.

The trouble is that no one understands how you make money by sending up rockets. Everyone knows that rockets cost a packet, but that there is limited reasons to send more junk into space.

P.S. did your lunar module include a return ticket?

Reply to
Terry Collins

"Roy Q.T." wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3257.bay.webtv.net... CONTACT !

[...]

With your vacuum tube to handle the rift issues, they go nowhere.

Reply to
Phil Scott

Yeah; I'd be better off using the Glass Cap with semiconductor back-up. I hate rockets !

I'll just have to make a Space Drive Electronic Engine or get one from my alien friend Magiton };-) =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

I hate rockets !

I'll just have to make a Space Drive Electronic Engine or get one from my alien friend Magiton };-) ®oy

You sound like you have been there/ done that. Maybe if Chas Perry , PE, posts you can educate him for a change, I doubt if he has experience with the Glass Cap ....or.... the quark propulsion you have been undoubtedly outsourcing .... via the hyperspace rift you had referred to earlier. Has Perry commented on your rift equations yet or is he avoiding the topic?

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

Re: Ready For Take Off ! Group: alt.engineering.electrical Date: Fri, Mar 25, 2005, 8:29am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@sf.sbcglobal.net (Phil=A0Scott) "Roy Q.T." wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3258.bay.webtv.net... Yeah; I'd be better off using the Glass Cap with semiconductor back-up. I hate rockets ! I'll just have to make a Space Drive Electronic Engine or get one from my alien friend Magiton };-) =AEoy You sound like you have been there/ done that. =A0 Maybe if Chas Perry , PE, posts you can educate him for a change, =A0 I doubt if he has experience with the Glass Cap ....or.... the quark propulsion you have been undoubtedly outsourcing .... via the hyperspace rift you had referred to earlier. =A0 Has Perry commented on your rift equations yet or is he avoiding the topic? Phil Scott ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ No Phil , I haven't heard a Peep out of Chas in a while. I've never completed formulation on the dimensional rift., I just know it is a factor that is often ignored for cumbersome and Not Present or Real in the First Dimension which presumably is the one that allows one to received the millions from sales };-) =AEoy

Reply to
Roy Q.T.