NEW ISP does not have newsgroup capability

Switching to a new ISP, and this one does not have the ability to access newsgroups. This is the only one I kept an eye on, so it is not like I browse a bunch of them. I have been going to groups.google to read the new posts here, and the search feature is tough to beat, but there seems to be some latency when posting. It is not a big deal, but can I get a free "reader" that will take the place of the typical Outlook Express type feel to browsing the newsgroup. Thanks, RB

Reply to
Ryan Brown

This should be exactly what you need:

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

I also just switched.... now using Sysmatrix.net and they *have* the newsgroups. I use Free Agent for the newsreader and it's working fine with Sysmatrix. (which is only $10 mo, BTW) and the Eudora mail reader works fine with their e-mail also. Ken

Reply to
Ken Sterling

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ryan Brown) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

There are several free newsgroup servers around, that only offer a limited number of non-binary groups. You can get an account for news at any number of pay newsgroup services (giganews, easynews, etc) For a news reader: check out Xnews

Anthony

if you can afford around $3 one time fee, check out

- when my ISP dropped NGs, that was my solution

Reply to
william_b_noble

I tried teranews last year in the same situation, after a recommendation. The $3 / free service sucked, the teranews support rep suggested signing up for the $39 package. That sucked just as bad, and as it expired last week I am going to try a different news site.

Specifically, both teranews' free and for-pay servers were typically offline at many times during the week, and many of my posts failed to get out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Powell

In article , Ryan Brown wrote: :Switching to a new ISP, and this one does not have the ability to :access newsgroups. This is the only one I kept an eye on, so it is :not like I browse a bunch of them. I have been going to groups.google :to read the new posts here, and the search feature is tough to beat, :but there seems to be some latency when posting. It is not a big :deal, but can I get a free "reader" that will take the place of the :typical Outlook Express type feel to browsing the newsgroup. Thanks,

Newsguy: $39.95/year or $5.95/month gets you 3 GB per month of downloads.

* Carries essentially everything, * Good article retention (currently about 45 days in discussion groups), * Almost never down, * Excellent propagation, * Works with any standard newsreader, including OE, * Two spam-protected email boxes and a 50MB web site included in the base price, * Additional download capacity available -- $2 for each additional 1 GB / month, * Two day free trial available.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

I have been using newscene.com for quite a few years. I recommend them - good retention and all the groups, and all the binaries Geoff

Reply to
geoff m

It being a dull day, I decide to respond to what snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Ryan Brown) foisted 20 Aug 2004 16:46:42 -0700 on rec.crafts.metalworking , viz:

Which ISP did you switch to?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Check out the following url. I use the Agent news program with no problems.

Q Leap