Why do messages keep vanishing from this newsgroup?

I'm reading the newsgroup using Google, and it's to my frustration that every few days ALL of the posted threads vanish!

What gives! Is Google this screwed up? Perhaps it's time that they paid the money and hired a few experienced professionals to run their newsgroup operation, rather than the clueless hacks that they evidently now employ!

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Why? Get yourself a newsreader access a server. If your ISP doesn't have one, subscribe to a public server.

Reply to
John Ings

Can you suggest a full coverage public newsgroup reader that is both not expensive $$ and doesn't have bizarre listing/flitering of the posted threads? (I've tried three, at prices between free and $20 per month, but their listing sequences and threading were so very strange that I couldn't deal with them.)

What I would prefer is a source with a news machine that provides the equivalent of a UNIX TIN newsreader, but evidently no one is offering this.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Well, if you want, panix.com has telnet/ssh only shell accounts where you can use tin, rn, trn, and several other unix newsreaders for $10/mo or $100/yr. They don't carry all the newsgroups, but they carry all big 8 and any additional ones that the users request. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

News servers don't sequence or thread posts. Your newsreader does that. What were you reading from them with?

News servers don't offer anything but the raw posts. All the sequencing is done by your newsreader. I use Agent. It will sort posts by thread, by time of receipt or by author.

Reply to
John Ings

John, many of the commercial news servers available on the web provide access by only their own newsreaders. Hence, you are stuck with the limitations of their newsreader.

Agent sounds good, but what news server do you suggest to use it with? (I'm using a high-speed cable connection (Comcast), which I believe is limited to TCP/IP protocol.)

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110819336.480402.292220 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

Google is fine. The posts we're probably marked X-No-Archive, like this one. Hurry up and read it. It will be gone in a couple of days. Why don't you get a newsreader and stop using Google. Originally it was Deja and was a usenet archive. It was good at that. As an unternet based newsreader it kind of sucks.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

You mean like AOL? I wouldn't touch one of those with a ten foot pole! Besides, who says you have to use their newsreader? Or their install their software just because you bought their service?

Go here:

Comcast should have their own news server available to you as a customer. Or for 10 Euros a year ($13 US) you can sign up with the German server at

John Ings

I also have Comcast cable ISP and my service includes access to Giganews. Giganews is great as far as retention goes - currently

150,000 posts over 630 days for RCM! Of course your service may not include this, but you should check. I use Mozilla Thunderbird reader and it's all I would want (and free).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Try giganews.com. I've been using them for 4 1/2 years haven't had any problems. I started using them when I got pissed off with my isp's news servers going down regularly. Ditched that isp later, but kept with giganews.

Mark Rand (usual disclaimers) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

news.individual.net Germany based, but available to worldwide AFAIK

they've recently changed from free to 10euros (=10US$?) PA, but well worth it.

-- BigEgg

Reply to
bigegg

OT OT

Do they still have a "news feed/ticker tape" type system? Ya know they go juch jucchh juch jucth. That would be cool to watch once in awhile.

I worked at a TV and radio station when JL of the F4 was gunned down

25 yrs. ago. I walked by the room the machine was in and it was making unusual noises so I went in and read as it came in maybe 5 mins. after. After the machine settled down I took the print out maybe 2 hours worth and like everything else I've had it got ripped. Bet that would be worth some bucks today.

Anyhow, is news feed out like that now days? Ya know say during 911 you'd have the NYT type first what they thought was going on and then CNN the next second and then other news companies jumping in ect. Kind of like the news at the bottom of some TV news the typed stream, but from everybody.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Harry,

Comcast has news servers. I'm not a Comcast customer, but a quick perusal of their website resulted in this:

They only officially support Outlook Express (typical), but they say you can use any client. Agent is good. I use Pan under Linux. There are others, of course.

By the way, TCP/IP is the protocol suite that connects systems on the Internet. It is not a limitation - it is the foundation of the 'Net. NNTP (Network News Transport Protocol) runs on top of TCP/IP, and is what all standards-compliant news servers and news readers use.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

At least in our area (Seattle) -- I think elsewhere also, Comcast has switched from their own news servers to giganews for the news server (a month or two back if I remember correctly). And yes, TCP/IP is the life blood of the internet - everything (well almost) rides on top of that protocol.

mikey

Reply to
Mike Fields

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

I also am suffering w/ the "new and improved" Google. I surf rec.crafts.metalworking via Google during lunch at work and my employer does not allow direct access to newsgroups. Even though the new Google Beta sucks, the surfing speed is so much faster than using dial-up at home.

Reply to
aribert

How does he prevent it?

Reply to
John Ings

The "commercial" newsservers like Google do use their own reader program because they are working through the web page protocol rather than the newsgroup protocol. As a result, you use your regular web browser to read the newsgroups as pages. The newsgroup protocol is different as the server is doing a specific job of providing the posts as such to your email/newsgroup program. I really haven't heard of any ISP providers that don't provide access to the newsgroup system although many suppliers don't provide all of the various newsgroups out there. If you ISP doesn't provide for newsgroup access, it would be interesting to know who is doing your ISP service. I've been using the "standard" Microcrud Outlook Express for email and newsgroup access. I leave the viewing setting to see only unread posts and my server keeps access to older posts for about a month. Google should be keeping all of the old posts as that was the standard for the service that they bought for their service.

Bob May

The newsreader is a function of your local machine, not the machine on which the news server is running.

If you like TIN, install linux or openbsd on a partition, and use it to access newsgroups at a real server.

And TIN *is* free, as are several other unix-based newsreaders, including my own favorite, strn. (You may have to download it in source code format and compile it on your system if there is not a pre-compiled port of it somewhere, but it is *your* choice.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well ... I'm not the one who said that, but it would be easy enough to block the nntp ports at the firewall.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols