What is it? XCVII

A few more photos have been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

#561 is a post-hole borer
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:44:15 +0000 (UTC), "Norman Billingham"

Looks more like an earth anchor than a hole digger.
There isn't enough screw to carry the loose dirt out of the hole, but the blades will cut their way into the ground and allow the hole to close back around the shaft, making it difficult to pull it loose without unscrewing it. The eye at the top of the shaft would allow a rope or chain to be fastened there, tethering whatever is attached to the other end of the rope.
The Barbara Bailey entity posted thusly:

Yup.. they are common at horse events like trail rides, etc. for tethering horses.
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:19:00 -0600, Barbara Bailey wrote:

Not to mention the stick that you use to twirl it. :-)
I've seen these used for mobile home tie-downs in tornado country, which, of course, brings to mind an image of a trailer floor with these four or five steel straps arched over it...
Cheers! Rich
564 is a saw set. 567 is a cartridge belt

557. Hoof gage used by farriers to measure hoof angle and determines the levelness of the foot. 561. Ground anchor for guy wires. 562. Maybe a pedometer?
"557. Hoof gage used by farriers to measure hoof angle and determines the levelness of the foot. " The shape of it made me think it was a farrier's tool but I couldn't figure out what it did.
Sure seems like 558 is also a farrier's tool, for digging stuff out of the hoof, prepping it for the new shoe.

560. Well, its a wooden sand casting pattern, but what of? The colour code is all mixed up, too. I though red was "to be machined", and the core print isn't yellow... (?)
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:14:33 +1100, Jeff R wrote:

It looks like a negative for a vane pump rotor, or maybe a magnetron anode.
Thanks! Rich
wrote in message

code
print
I've got about 15 different types of sand casting patterns, and only a couple of them are yellow on the inside, I guess different companies had different color standards. Also, some of them are red and black, and others are brown and black.

I couldn't find any photos on the web of any of these that look like mine, I was thinking that the red colored area was removed in the finished piece, leaving the middle hollow.
Rob
R.H. wrote:

. #561 is an anchor used by augering into the soil for whatever anchoring purpose one might need. The eye is used for tying off and for slipping a cross handle into to screw it into the ground.

562 Battery ammeter used to check batteries in early radios.
Carl G.
561. I would have guessed an ice auger, for ice fishing, not much in the way of flutes though...
R.H. said the following on 1/12/2006 3:36 AM:

This may have been asked/answered before, but does anyone know or remember a TV Game show LONG time ago that would have unusual objects and 2 wrong and 1 correct answer were given? If you do remember the name of the show I would appreciate you sharing it with me :-)
Susan

Yeah, I <do> remember that. I think Soupy Sales was one of the celebrities. Three celebs would provide ideas for what the object was, and the contestant had to guess which celeb was telling the truth. I think the show was about the same time as "Whats my Line" and "to tell the truth"..
Hmmm...
--riverman
"Take A Guess"?
--riverman

1
would
Your description is similar to that of a game show called "Liar's Club", except that in "Liar's Club" three of four celebrities provided incorrect answers. Also, it wasn't produced a LONG time ago. It was produced in 1969, 1976, 1977, 1978, and 1988. The host in 1969 was Rod Serling. Other hosts were Bill Armstrong (1976-1977), Allen Ludden (1977-1978), and Eric Boardman (1988-1989).
Carl G.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:22:03 GMT, "Carl G."

Try this URL...
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/9348/liars_club.htm
Thats it - was a good show. I only remember the original, and 1969 was a long time ago - at least in terms of how I look today v the 60s :-)
Thanks for the help.
Susan