AIRCO AC/DC Helielder V

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of this welder. I haven't take

delivery of it and I am pretty anxious to get some talks wit (possibly) a similar user. Thanks for you help

-- hd_74al

Reply to
hd_74al

That one may...may have been made by Miller and rebadged.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Lots of Airco welders are Millers, especially the old ABPs, but this particular one is an Esab. I own one that I picked up cheap when it was nearly new because someone apparently liked their HF to jump at least an inch or two. The points were opened up way beyond the spec and the excess HF had fried a $.05 diode on the control board.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned: I have taken possession of the welder and when I have done som research I find it was made in 1988. I have taken the panels off an find that there is a "blown" 470uf63v Nichicon axial capacitor on th Interface Board. ESAB told me to go to ARC-Products for a new board ARC Products say that it is too new that they do not have a rebuil exchange board for this welder. Well, I guess I am on my own. I can ge a new capacitor, and I can rebuild the Circuit Board. I will have t solder the burnt sections of the electrical grid with wire. Usually blown capacitor is caused by something. Do you or anyone know what th capacitor controls so that I can check for a problem. Thanks for an help

-- hd_74al

Reply to
hd_74al

That's about the same age as mine. Rebuilt boards were available when I got it in the early 90s. The main control board right behind the front panel near the top of the machine, which was where my problem lay, was less than $100 from a local welding supply that does repairs. In the process of zeroing in on the problem I repaired the board, so never actually purchased one.

Have you inquired at a shop that actually repairs welders?

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned: I live in a location that does not repair welders. This is were am at. ESAB have indicated that they do not have any repair parts fo these machines, so I am on my own. The number on the interface Boar (larger of the two boards) has a number 1372-5260 rev3. There is blown Nichicon axial capacitor (470uf63v). The capacitor has melte some of the circuit grids on the board (must have got very hot). I hav ordered a new capacitor and I am in the process of grinding the burn debris from the board and building it up with epoxy. Once this is don I will solder the new capacitor onto the board and then put jumpers t reconnect the destroyed circuit grids.

The rest of the board look to be in good shape and there are loos wires on any of the transformers. Do you have any ideas what may hav caused the capacitor to blow out or what this (small of the axia capacitors) does? The post flow was also taken off this machine fo some reason, so would that affect the board function? I can post ( think) pictures or send these directly to you for comment. It is trul amasing that you seem to be the only other person that has thi particular make and model. Either that or all the others are troubl free. Thanks for your help

-- hd_74al

Reply to
hd_74al

Call Dennis at Arco Welding Repair. Tell him Gunner referred you. (this gets me access to the bone yard )

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner