What is it? L

More photos have just been posted:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
278 looks like a lump of metal, I dont know what kind or what its for :) 279 looks like a spanner or adjustment device of some kind 280 is an battery operated metronome 281 is that for cutting something (or is it something like a fish scaler)?
Reply to
Jonathan Wilson

278. Used in a "tumbling drum" of some type for rust or scale removal? Maybe dump a bunch in a concrete transit truck to remove caked on concrete? 279. Bicycle wrench/tool. Openings for wrenching axles & spokes, tire iron on other end. 280. Electronic metronome. 281. No idea. 282. Strainer. Looks almost like the one in the shower drain. 283. No idea.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow
278 Meteorite

282 aerator (inside your kitchen faucet)

Reply to
FMB
278 is a lodestone, or perhaps an iron meteorite, or perhaps both. 279 is a bicycle tool. The thin end is a tire iron. 280 is an electronic metronome with provision for tuning to A440.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

R.H. apparently said,on my timestamp of 24/02/2005 8:29 PM:

278: piece of slag metal, or a meteorite. 279: bike wrench 280: metronome 281: pet hair dematter/trimmer 282: tap aerator? 283: some form of paper or leather cutter?
Reply to
Noons

278. Meteorite 279. Automotive window handle remover 280. Spanish language volume control 281. Some kind of knife 282. Shower drain strainer 283. Torture device
Reply to
Gary Brady

Judging by the raucus Spanish speakers of my acquaintance, this would be a useful device to have.

Danny

Reply to
Danny Kodicek

from rec.puzzles

278 - I suppose lump of metal is too obvious

279 - a bicycle repair multitool?

280 - digital metronome

281 - fishermans tool - descaling dehooking?

282 - cannot see it

283 - i believe this has been banned by the geneva convention

regards

matthew newell

Reply to
Matthew Newell

278: Meteorite

279: Bicycle wrench. Spoke, cone, hub and tire lever

280: Metronome

283: Crampon?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I don't know the name, but it's what comes in bike tire repair kits to clean rubber before putting on the rubber cement and then the patch.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

278) A bit of debris from a rocket launch.

279) Basin wrench

280) Electronic metronome

281) Wallpaper removal tool

282) Microphone

283) Rube Goldberg can-opener part.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

279. Bicycle wrench

281. Grapefruit knife

282. ? how extreme a close-up ?

283. Early, failed version of the safety pin

--

  • TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Also:

TomH
279 is a bicycle wrench and tire tool....small openings are for tightening spokes 280 is an electronic metronome for musicians

bill otten

Reply to
Bill Otten

Wouldn't be a knife for shucking corn and then taking the kernels off the cob, would it?

At that size... some sort of silicon wafer?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

This one isn't a knife for shucking corn.

No, it's not a silicon wafer, I'll give a hint tomorrow if no one gets it by then.

Reply to
R.H.
278 looks to be a meteorite 279 is bicycle tool 280 metronome with the correct Italian music notation 281 looks to be a serious version of an oyster knife 282 might be an aerator from a sink faucet 283 is a can opener though I don't recognize the device on the non pointed end.

DanG

I thought about that but doesn't an oyster knife have a guard between the handle and the blade?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

A tool for stripping the coat of a terrier?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

diffraction grating?

Jim