What is it? XLII

Just posted a few more photos:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

230 - Device for enlarging, um, well, you know....

231 - measures drill or wire size?

232 - Calcite? I have a chunk of that around here somewhere.

233 - threading die holder

234 - looks like a ladle, but that's an odd way to attach the handle.

235 - part of a tube flaring tool set. That part clamps 'round the tube.

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

233 is a threading die holder. 235 is a tubing flaring tool. Clamps around the tubing, in this case one of 3 sizes. 225 goes with 235 and actually swages the flare. 229 is a common chain saw chain.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

231 looks like a telephone dial. I think in the days of actual dial telephones, only 24 letters were mapped to the digits. The letters shown are the first of the standard triplets 2-ABC 3-DEF, etc.

My desk electronic phone has all 26 letters with two digits having quads instead of triplets: 7-PQRS 9-WXYZ. I would guess the original standard omitted Q and Z. Note that 8-T on your photo, that only makes sense if one of PQRS is omitted from 7. Odd that the dial you show has a Z on 0, that usually means operator.

Reply to
mensanator

231 Tiny phone dial? 224 For linking chain? 226 Slapjack (Cop's persuasion device)
Reply to
edard

230. Gunner's crib toy. 231. Prehistoric Speak 'n' Spell 232. Left over transparent aluminum from that time the Enterprise came back in time and stole some whales. And a book. 233. Beer cap untwister for the elderly. 234. Russian TV calibration tool--use it to whack the side of the tube. 235. Stocks for elves who won't build toys fast enough.
Reply to
B.B.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ #231 is a small phone dial, probably meant to be used with a stylus. It could be from the type of phone that linemen wore on their belts in the dial phone dim past. #234 is for breaking ice cubes. Hold the cube in the palm of one hand, and make the weight vibrate against it. I have one--it works. Brand name is "Tap Icer."

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

230] A flare gun. 231] Telephone dial. Possibly for a service technician. 233] A die stock. (hold a die for cutting external threads. 234] You hold an ice cube in one hand and whap it with the convex end of the tool. 235] holds tubing for flaring. used in conjunction with the tool in photo #225
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
231. Dial mechanism out of a telephone installer/linesmans test set(pre touch tone era). I have several of these sets which used to be my old man's. Got them from him after he retired.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

230) It *looks* like a long-reach industrial strength corkscrew, but it might be for drilling long holes through wood. 231) Phone dial from the old rubber-encased lineman's handsets. 232) It looks to me like a big salt crystal.

233) Die stock. Looks to have been die cast, not forged, so I don't know about the strength under serious use.

234) Spring mounted drumstick for quick automatic repeats?

235) The other half of the flaring tool which you had in the last batch (225).

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

#231: Very old rotary dial for phone

#232: Calcite?

#233: Die holder for die part of tap and die set

#234: Crucible for some kind of molten metal? Lead for bullet molds?

#235: Missing part of flaring tool from last week's puzzles

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Woodbutcher, any interest in getting rid of one? My dad, my grandpa, great grandpa, and I are and was, all "Bell guy's"

Reply to
Bullwinkle J. Moose

Item 230 looks like an old cork remover for wine bottles

Item 231 is the dial off an old linemans test phone... you had to use a pin or pick in the holes to dial it.

Item 232 looks like a piece of quartz.

Item 233 is a die holder for a threading die.

Item 234 is a lead ladle for pouring lead into cast iron pipe joints for cauking.

Item 235 is half of a flaring tool...

Item 224 is a rplacement link to repair a broken tire chain

Item 225 is the other half of the flairing tool 235

Item 226 is an ice breaker ....many times used as a soft blow hammer for a number of things.

Item 227 is a spoke wrench to set the tension on bicycle tires spokes.

John

Reply to
john

#232 The mineral ulexite

"R.H." wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Dang, I was gonna say upsidaisyum!

Reply to
Bullwinkle J. Moose

230: rug-hooking shuttle.

Kris

Reply to
Kris Baker

231 -- a very old fashioned telephone dial 232 -- I'd think it was clear calcite, except it doesn't exhibit the double-refraction property. It does have a high index of refraction. 234 -- the result of 0^0, in physical form.
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

230: !!! Center part looks like a strap tensioning spindle; the top left appears to clamp over (something); the very top left appears to be a ratchet pawl for the shaft; at the bottom left, the spiral could be a guide for a hose or cable. I have no idea! 231: Telephone dial, possibly from a test set.

232: Calcite, I believe

233: Die stock (handle)

234: Ice cracker

235: The missing part of the flaring tool in the previous set
Reply to
Dave Bell

Nope, not for enlarging anything...

Not for measuring