What is it? LIV

Just posted a few more:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
302 mason's mortar-smoothing tool 303 modern version of the staff head in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' 304 wood fastener 305 grizzly bear salad fork (they actually use it to scratch their nuts 306 cheap ring made by dipping a soldered loop of chain in gold-colored stuff 307 trammel point with fine length adjustment
Reply to
Fred R
302. I suspect another leather working / shoe maker's tool.

303. Dietzgen suggests surveyor's equipment.

304. I believe it is called a Skotch lock, related to the corrugated fastener shown recently, for fastening wood together in a fast and primitive manner.

305. No earthly idea, but may be fireplace related.

306. A man's wedding ring.

307. Trammel point, one of a pair. This one is the fine adjustment end.

DanG

I actually have a #303... Saw it at a tool swap meet a while back, and was playing with it. Asked the owner what it was. Said he hadn't a clue, but it was mine for 50 cents.

I suspect it's some sort of survey equipment. Know for sure it was a good bit over 50 cents new.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again.

302) Looks like a tool for cleaning out grooves -- perhaps grooves in tongue-and-groove flooring, based on the size. Perhaps something else. Looks a little too narrow for use in pointing brickwork, but that may be it. 303) Hmm ... Deitzgen makes optics for microscopes, among other things. Is there any optical path though the bottom sleeve?

Guesses are:

1) Something designed to split an image from a microscope into three paths, to allow each to be photographed through a separate filter to make color separation photographs. 2) Something to divert a laser beam (coming in through the slot) into one of three paths. Or maybe even all three at once to set up a complex set of beams which recombine to allow comparison of phase after being acted on by things in all three paths.

304) Another device for joining two pieces of wood -- end to end, or edge to edge. Similar in function to the other from last week.

305) It looks to me like part of a trap for a reasonably large and powerful critter. It is missing the springs, and the jaws, at a minimum.

Or -- it could be part of a wagon tongue.

306) It certainly looks like a ring for a fairly large finger.

307) This one I am sure of. It is a trammel point (used in pairs on a yardstick (or a steel bar, in this case, I think) to make a particularly long divider. The knurled knob at the upper left is to clamp it to the yardstick, and the knurled knob near the bottom center (both in the upper photo) is to make fine adjustments in the position of the point.

The other one of the pair may be identical, or may have a holder for a pencil or pen point, depending on the kind of measurement or layout work being done. Pencil for marking wood, pen for drafting, another steel point for layout in layout dye on metal workpieces.

Now to see what the other two (so far) have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It is called a right angle prism and is used to find the point on a line from which a perpendicular line may be run to another point, then the true distance from the line to the point may be measured. this information can be very important particularly in property surveys. In use, a plumb-bob is suspended from the "handle" such that it is just clear of the ground, the point is viewed through centre plain glass section and lined up with markers on the line viewed through the upper and lower penta-prisms, when the point is on line the plumb-bob is lowered to mark the required point on the line. Alternately, the prism is also used to project perpendicular lines from points along a base line to enable accurate quantity measurement. See:

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller
302. Looks like a tool to help stretch fabric when upholstering furniture or car interiors.

303. It's a Dietzgen No. 6869 thingy that you look through to see stuff ;-) (Seriously, I have no clue)

304. Some kind of fastener, like a big staple?

305. No clue.

306. A gold ring.

307. A trammel point, it clamps to a bar. Usually used in pairs for measuring and marking material (wood, metal, whatever).

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

See

:-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

That rang a bell... Betcha it's used for making holograms.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Thanks Gerry!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Reply to
Jim Geib

302 - Skiving tool? 303 - 90 degree prism used in surveying. 304 - Protection staple, You drive it into the edge of a stud to protect the wire/pipe or whatever behind it from being nailed/screwed into. 305 - Looks like a hand forged sleigh runner tip. 306 - Ring made by silver soldering the links then plating it with gold. 307 - Trammel point.
Reply to
Steve W.

I used one of these prisms for many years when staking out the corners of test plots in farmer's fields. It's kind of hard otherwise to get the corners square on hilly ground or when the crop rows are curved, like in contour planting. Nothing near the accuracy of a transit, but fine for a few inches in 100 feet. It sure speeded things up, especially when working alone. Carl Joplin

Reply to
Carl Joplin

Going backwards, but:

298. Does this open the clamps on squeezing or releasing the handles? If the former, could it be something like a holder for test tubes or something similar? ie it holds in the "relaxed" state.

giovani

Reply to
giovani

303 Surveying gadget. You stare into it and you can effectively "see sideways" at accurately 180° to each image. Then you put this gadget on top of a staff and walk between two other staves. Looking at the images of the staves and moving around until they line up, you can place your new staff accurately on the line between the initial two.

The old way involved two people, one moving the staff and the other standing at one end of the line and hand-signalling them back and forth. This way can be done single handed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

302. "corking" tool 303. surveying instrument accessory 304. truss fastener 305. bear trap bracket 306. wedding band 307. part of adjustable trammel point

from RCM

Reply to
Gary Brady

Reply to
The Tagge's

302: Corner/edge scraper

303: Panoramic camera part for security system?

304: Low quality butt joiner

305: Part of a damper control

306: Thumb ring

307: Gom jabber