What is it? LVIII

Loading thread data ...
327) Some kind of hand reamer/counter bore? 328) You're making a ring out of it. There was a link on this NG about such a project. 329) A wild guess is a valve spring compressor. 330) A punch of some special type. 331) Collette, exact kind I don't know. 332) The working/grabbing end of one of those flexible grabber thingys. The fingers extend out when you push the plunger on the other end. Handy for picking up dropped bolts etc.
Reply to
327: appears to be some sort of a reamer; maybe for finishing the dowel holes for furniture?
328: I've got several finger rings that my great-uncle made from silver coins that way. I think that he started with quarters, though.
Reply to
Barbara Bailey
* R. H.
327 Some cleaner tool
328 coiner (or coinerism or whatever)
329 "log on fireplace" placer
330 Tool for hammering spikes/nails into the boards without destroying the board with hammer marks. (Called "et dor" in Norwegian.)
331 Part of a combination lock
332 Part of fireworks
Reply to
Jon Haugsand
From rec.woodworking.
#327: Manual router? #328: The nature of the project is to obliterate any 1965 $.05 piece ever made? #329: Old grab-it tool? #330: Seal punch? Spanner tool? #331: Collet #332: The end of a flexible grab-it tool. I use mine to fetch objects that my kids throw into the aquarium.
Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith
327 Don't come near me with that thing. Wish I could find that size engine , new.
328 You can make something out of the pre '64 ones.
329 Cool , I want one.
330 Where do you find this stuff ...
331 Opposite of what I've been looking for.
332 Your gonna need this double grabber cause you dropped it deep in that plane & if you don't get it the first time your screwed.
Reply to
331 What we used to call a "rubber collet" it grabs the part over a much longer length than an ordinary collet.
Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Could 327 be a tool for making a rosette or similar pattern on leather?
Agree 329 and 332 are a valve spring compressor and a "Grabit" tool.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow
Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking
327 Pipe (as in tobacco) reamer/cleaner? 328 Making a ring? 329 Dunno but stay away from me with it!! 330 Looks like a nail set with handles? 331 Collet, don't know what kind. 332 Business end of a grabber?
Best Regards, Keith Marshall snipped-for-privacy@progressivelogic.com
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
Reply to
Keith Marshall
327. Pipe reamer 328. You are making a coin ring 329. A valve spring compressor for a side valve motor 330. Personal protection key fob 331. Collets 332. Parts grabber
Reply to
Lone Biker Of The Apocalypse
330 - Hazy memory says it's a little (jewelry sized) anvil, with the two legs dropping into holes in a bench plate.
Kevin Gallimore
Reply to
327. Donut corer. 328. Deflation. 329. Baby forceps for difficult births in cattle and/or large women. 330. Three-hole punch. 331. Adjustable hole. 332. Engine bolt extractor. To be used with much profanity.
Postin' from rcm.
Reply to
Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking:
327) For making a shaped cavity -- in wood, I think. The shape is wrong for it to be a deburring tool for metal. And, it looks to be center-cutting, so it does not need a pre-drilled hole to start it.
328) You are making a ring, with the outer text of the coin showing up on the inside of the ring. I've known of this for years, and have recently seen this discussed in one of the fora which I frequent. I forget whether it is rec.crafts.metalworking, or a mailing list.
Anyway, you cut out the center, and smooth it nicely, and finally polish the OD.
P.S. You've got more patience than I had back when I first learned of this technique. Did you use a spoon, or a small hammer?
329) Support for some form of workpiece. The T-handle probably goes into some master supporting object where it can pivot, and the claws support a workpiece of some form. At a guess, I would say that it would be used by a blacksmith, to allow a heavy workpiece to be swung between the anvil and the forge (heat source).
It could be an extendible grabber *if* it had:
1) A handle to extend it from the support end.
2) Another handle to grip/release the claws.
Lacking those, I stand by my first impression.
330) I *think* another form of blacksmithing tool. That would mount on an anvil, to allow forming of rings and similar things.
331) An ER (Extended Range) series collet. I'm not sure which of several sizes this one is -- perhaps ER-16. (I use an ER-25 set with my little Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC lathe, and with the companion C5 milling machine.
332) The business end of an extension grabber. The cylinder is probably 1/4" or smaller. Operated by a plunger and (probably) a T-handle grip. Most have a flexible section between the handle and the grabber fingers.
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
327. Reamer 328. Making a coin ring 329. Extend-o-arm. 330. Anvil stake 331. Collet 332. Business end of a mechanical grabber for tight spaces.
Gary Brady Austin, TX
Reply to
Gary Brady
327 Reamer
328 Model of english wheel
329 Lift device. The more you lift the tighter it gets.
331 Collet
332 Screw Holder
Reply to
Jim Newell
Looks like they've all been answered correctly:
327. Countersink, a tool for making a hole so the screw head will lie flush with the surface.
328. Making a coin ring
329. Patent valve spring compressor, patented Oct. 4, 1921. I didn't know what it was until I did a search on the patent date and found this page:
formatting link

330. Haven't been able to verify this one, when I first got it I thought it might be one of those personal protection key fobs, but now I'm leaning towards the idea that it's a small anvil.
331. Spring collet
332. Mechanical grabber, 24" long with a spring and plunger on the other end.
Thanks to all who participated this week.
Reply to
I didn't have a heavy spoon, so I did the first 80 percent with a small hammer and finished it with a regular sized one. Seems like it would take a lot longer using a spoon.
Reply to
Most of it comes from the flea market. I'm getting a little low on objects to post on my site, if anyone has something that might be appropriate, please send me some photos.
Reply to
#331 is a collet for a CNC mill, for CT tooling. These are the ones for CNC's with tool changers, such as the Haas I use at the machine shop.
Reply to

Site Timeline

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.