Some more pictures

Sorry about the fuzzy edges and occasional motion blur, the light was going. So, here are some pics of the layout showing the two long platforms in their current state of completion, plus the long straight and waterfall. Hard to capture the latter in low light, flash is too harsh, so maybe I'll need to wait until the days are a bit lighter.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

In article , "Just zis Guy, you know?" writes

Guy,

For interior flash photography, I find I get better results if I bounce the flash off the ceiling and/or rear wall; it gives a much gentler light. Can be a problem if the ceiling/wall is strongly coloured, in which case a white bounce card may be the only way to get a softer result without gruesome colour tints. You also, of course, need a separate flash gun with tiltable head, and of reasonably beefy power to do this, though modern DSLRs which give decent results at high ISO help a lot here.

Many of your non-flash pictures show distinct signs of camera shake, and would be considerably improved if you used a tripod.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Oh I know, but this is a cheap camera with built-in flash. I really ought to get the chemical camera out and do the job properly but it's rather a faff. Maybe I'll get a decent camera with the bonus this year, it's certainly frustrating not being able to take proper pictures.

Aye, that's a fair point. I have one to hand. The camera has no socket for a remote release but it does have a timer.

I greatly prefer ambient light and always have (which is why I used to mainly use high speed monochrome film back when I took a lot of photos).

Thanks for reminding me about the tripod. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

: For interior flash photography, I find I get better results if I bounce : the flash off the ceiling and/or rear wall; it gives a much gentler : light. Can be a problem if the ceiling/wall is strongly coloured, in : which case a white bounce card may be the only way to get a softer : result without gruesome colour tints. You also, of course, need a : separate flash gun with tiltable head, and of reasonably beefy power to : do this, though modern DSLRs which give decent results at high ISO help : a lot here.

Failing that, experiment with *bouncing* the light from halogen work lights off the ceiling/walls, together with manual settings for the exposure - assuming the camera is capable. One of the best things about digital photography is that practice does make perfect and the only thing wasted is electrons!

Reply to
Jerry

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

: Oh I know, but this is a cheap camera with built-in flash. I really : ought to get the chemical camera out and do the job properly but it's : rather a faff. Maybe I'll get a decent camera with the bonus this : year, it's certainly frustrating not being able to take proper : pictures.

You're not expecting much in the way of a bonus then!...

Reply to
Jerry

I didn't say *all* the bonus. Last year was something over 5 grand, this year who knows, I'm in a new job with 25% higher pay. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 21:31:20 -0000, "Jerry" : wrote: : : >

: >"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote : >in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : >

: >

: >: Oh I know, but this is a cheap camera with built-in flash. I : >really : >: ought to get the chemical camera out and do the job properly : >but it's : >: rather a faff. Maybe I'll get a decent camera with the bonus : >this : >: year, it's certainly frustrating not being able to take proper : >: pictures. : >

: >You're not expecting much in the way of a bonus then!... : : : I didn't say *all* the bonus. Last year was something over 5 grand, : this year who knows, I'm in a new job with 25% higher pay. :

You could have a messily 1 grand bonus and still have between half and a 1/3 of it left after buying a 'decent' (DSLR) camera -unless you are a professional photographer (which you are not, and that is obvious!). Also, if you are in such employment that pays 5 grand plus bonuses you wouldn't need a bonus to buy such a camera anyway...

news:alt.bestjobs.boasting is that away "Sir" ===>

Reply to
Jerry

True. My father was, though.

I thought that, too, and then I looked at the bank balance. Kids are very cheap to acquire but the running costs are astronomical. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:23:14 -0000, "Jerry" : wrote: : : >You could have a messily 1 grand bonus and still have between : >half and a 1/3 of it left after buying a 'decent' (DSLR) : >camera -unless you are a professional photographer (which you are : >not, and that is obvious!). : : True. My father was, though.

More boasting, the fact is, YOU are not!

Oh and before you ask, yes I could boast about many things or my heritage but the only person I will impress will be myself 'cos most people are in the same boat, so there is no jealousy element in my comments.

: : >Also, if you are in such employment : >that pays 5 grand plus bonuses you wouldn't need a bonus to buy : >such a camera anyway... : : I thought that, too, and then I looked at the bank balance. Kids are : very cheap to acquire but the running costs are astronomical. :

Thus there are better things to spend 5 grand on then... Lets put this into perspective, a 'decent' DSLR camera these days will set one back ~500 GBP mark, when a single 4mm scale loco is now averaging around the 80 GBP mark and coaches around the 30 GBP (both after any 'shed' discounts) mark it's not very hard to see that if you are that strapped for cash (to the point that you can't save/spend ~500 GBP for a DSLR) you probably shouldn't be "Playing Trains" [1] either.

As I said, boast if you want to but the only person looking an arse is you.

[1] With model railways, looking at your photo's, less is so often more...

Happy new year!

Reply to
Jerry

Er, no, just a statement of fact.

I remember now why I had you in my killfile, you are unnecessarily rude and combative. I don't care for that.

Bye. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

: I remember now why I had you in my killfile, you : are unnecessarily rude and combative. I don't care : for that. : : Bye. :

I guess truth and critique hurts some...

Reply to
Jerry

Didn't take long to show that a leopard cannot change its spots.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

: > I remember now why I had you in my killfile, you : > are unnecessarily rude and combative. I don't care : > for that. : : Didn't take long to show that a leopard cannot change : its spots.

Indeed, but sycophants like Guy (and your good self MBQ) can't, they live for their next boast "Look at how big my train-set is now,and how much stock I have bought", Look at what I earn", "Look at what bonus I will get", "Look at what 'good' photos I take" - all and more posted by Guy in this thread alone.

The rest of us, well we just get on with life...

Reply to
Jerry

Aye, that seems to be the way of it. Never mind. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

It would be really nice if you could boast about fixing your news client so that it doesn't mangle the text you're quoting :-)

What Guy, or anyone, wants to spend money on is entirely up to him. If he's more interested in model railways than photography then spending his spare cash on that is precisely what I'd expect him to do.

Let's see your pictures, then, so we can judge who is the better modeller and/or photographer!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

: : It would be really nice if you could boast about fixing : your news client so that it doesn't mangle the text : you're quoting :-)

Mark, for some reason your email got directed to Usenet, try this address instead; snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com

FUS...

Reply to
Jerry

I wasn't aware that you had sold your soul to Microsoft and had thus been rendered incapable of ever using anything else, or even using a non-Microsoft patch on a piece of Microsoft software. It would explain a lot, though...

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

: >: : >: It would be really nice if you could boast about fixing : >: your news client so that it doesn't mangle the text : >: you're quoting :-) : >

: >Mark, for some reason your email got directed to Usenet, try this : >address instead; snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com : : I wasn't aware that you had sold your soul to Microsoft and : had thus been

How your newsreader displays message is your problem not mine, they are quite readable when they leave here! :~P

If you really do have such a problem with the (probably most widely used) newsreader in the world you can do one or all of the following: fix the problem your end by either blocking any and all messages that originate from a MS newsreader or write yourself a patch for your chosen newsreader that re-flows ASCII content, or as I suggested originally, contact MS directly with regards *your* problem. To expect many millions of people all over the world to patch their MS software, even should such third party software actually work correctly [1], just goes to prove that this old chestnut is only rolled when trolls have little else to say - it's a version of the "Have you stopped beating your wife yet" troll, especially as you obviously don't have any problem reading and replying to messages sent via OL/E software...

As for other email and newsreader software, yes I have tested other software, most either had worse bugs than OL/E or were bloated/clunky in computer resources/use.

[1] clue, QuotaFix doesn't, in fact the last time I tried it -sorry can't remember what release #- not only did it *break*, rather than fix, the so called bugs in OLE but it also managed to crippled the email function within OL, to the extent that both were unusable, so I'm in no hurry to try it again any time soon thanks!
Reply to
Jerry

They're readable, but they're mangled, and they leave your software mangled. This is a known bug in OE; it's not the fault of any other software that receives messages it sends.

It's nowhere near the most widely used. In fact, given that it's now obsolete and not even supported by Microsoft, it's actually one of the least commonly used these days.

If you don't care that your choice of software makes you look technically illiterate, then fine, it is the problem of anyone who reads it. But I'd be surprised if you really don't care about looking technically illiterate, especially given your willingness to criticise other people for not measuring up to your standards when it comes to, say, photography.

Anyway, people have contacted Microsoft, and Microsoft have responded. It took a while, but the latest version of Windows Live Mail (which is Outlook Express's successor) now handles Usenet-style quoting correctly. Which makes it all the more odd that someone should carry on using software that even Microsoft considers out of date and buggy.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

I don't make such boasts.

What you need to do is take a step back.

If you have a problem (and it YOUR problem) with Guy's photos, either make some constructive criticism, show us some of your own (strange how those who like to give it out can never come up with the goods), or bite your tongue instead of resorting to being rude and abusive, as you invariably do, when someone disagrees with you or points out your own faults.

Happy New Year

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq