Edges, edges, edges

Dear folks:
I just went from SW2004 and SW2006 and am pleased to
report a 25% drop in departmental efficiency...*sigh*. This
happened last time I upgraded too, but I recovered...
Anyway, I used to select unwanted part edges in a drawing,
hide them, and when they didn't, find a handy surface and do
the Show/Hide Edges (Show, then Hide) routine, and everything
would rebuild and be lovely. But now I can't do that. Has
anybody got more ideas? I can select them fine, just not hide
them.
Cordiallly yours,
Gerard P.
Lakeview Forge Co.