Some more pictures

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 17:22:31 -0000, Jerry put finger to keyboard and typed:

They're readable, but they're mangled, and they leave your software mangled. This is a known bug in OE; it's not the fault of any other software that receives messages it sends.

It's nowhere near the most widely used. In fact, given that it's now obsolete and not even supported by Microsoft, it's actually one of the least commonly used these days.

If you don't care that your choice of software makes you look technically illiterate, then fine, it is the problem of anyone who reads it. But I'd be surprised if you really don't care about looking technically illiterate, especially given your willingness to criticise other people for not measuring up to your standards when it comes to, say, photography.
Anyway, people have contacted Microsoft, and Microsoft have responded. It took a while, but the latest version of Windows Live Mail (which is Outlook Express's successor) now handles Usenet-style quoting correctly. Which makes it all the more odd that someone should carry on using software that even Microsoft considers out of date and buggy.
Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk

Not just Usenet, it's also the traditional pre-Microsoft email way as well.
But to be fair, people often prefer to keep the software they're accustomed to. Their fingers "know" what commands etc to use.
Another possibility - a friend and his wife had to hunt high and low when they bought their first PC, to find one running XP because that's what they used at work (and a lot of companies still do, including some big ones). Not being computer people they didn't want the confusion of two different levels of Windows.
Even as a professional for 40 years since card punch and teletype days I can sympathise. I don't like having to learn a new version of Windows every time I replace my laptop, and when I have to fix my lady friend's problems on her old XP I have to try and remember things I'd forgotten through lack of use.

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 12:45:06 -0800, Christopher A. Lee put finger to keyboard and typed:

I'm not referring to top-posting v interleaved posting, or indented quoting v delimited quoting. As you say, email standards vary, and, unlike Usenet, there is no single email standard. But the particular issue in OE is that it doesn't wrap lines properly when using indented quoting, and it has exactly the same flaw whether used for email or Usenet. That is, it allows users to choose indented quoting (which some other email software doesn't offer at all - they only allow delimited quoting), but then fails to implement it correctly. That isn't a design choice, it's simply a bug (and one which Microsoft did, eventually, recognise and fix).
Mark
--
Blog: http://mark.goodge.co.uk
Stuff: http://www.good-stuff.co.uk

The other thing of course is that by now most of the bugs have been ironed out and most of the security holes plugged. I read somewhere that most companies prefer not to change their operating systems to a new one until it's at least 5 to 10 years for those reasons alone ... makes sense to me (who still runs his Atari STe on occassion).
--

All the best,

Chris

<snipped>
news:alt.net-head.time-to-spare.computernerd is that way Sir ===>
<snip> : For interior flash photography, I find I get better results if I bounce : the flash off the ceiling and/or rear wall; it gives a much gentler : light. Can be a problem if the ceiling/wall is strongly coloured, in : which case a white bounce card may be the only way to get a softer : result without gruesome colour tints. You also, of course, need a : separate flash gun with tiltable head, and of reasonably beefy power to : do this, though modern DSLRs which give decent results at high ISO help : a lot here.
Failing that, experiment with *bouncing* the light from halogen work lights off the ceiling/walls, together with manual settings for the exposure - assuming the camera is capable. One of the best things about digital photography is that practice does make perfect and the only thing wasted is electrons!
On 31/12/2011 18:22, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Thank you for the pictures. As far as I am concerned they are adequate to demonstrate what you mentioned above.
Keep up the good work, and don't let people with other agendas deflect you from what _you_ want to do.
--
Jane

Ta. I decided to give the frames a coat of black Gesso last night, whether I subsequently blend them to earth brown or not I haven't yet decided but it does make it look a bit more finished at the edges :-)
The main problem of course is that everything is on a gargantuan scale. The platforms are made of Peco platform edge infilled with insulating foam and then the surface made by plastering. The subway between the platforms was let in first and is lit with LEDs. It's made by assembling two pairs of Peco subway steps, so the descent is sufficient to go under the track with a scale headroom of more than 6ft. There will be a goods shed over behind where the sidings are, and that will bridge over the tracks for the second loop that goes under and behind the station.
I'm glad I went with DCC, I hate to think how complex the wiring would be in DC blocks! I do like being able to hammer round at full scale speed with an express passenger train and not have it reappear as soon as the tail light is out of sight. There are two quadrupled sections long enough for an express passenger train, so I can run through then take a mixed train from the well platform up onto the branch, or run a stopper with the DMU (there's a passing loop at the lower station).
Fun to be had, and it will be even better now I have properly powered the long sidings and can do some shunting. My Hornby 08 is a dream for shunting, it moves smoothly at slower than scale walking pace.
It's a pity I am having to use card buildings in the motive power depot, but I really don't have the resources to better yet. Never mind. Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed

I will get some more light so I can take a proper video, but you get the idea: I like running long trains over bridges and stuff. Here you see a 9F with a coal train of around 50 trucks, and an A3 pulling 14 coaches. Oh, and an N2 on the branch (the girder bridge in the background) with a single coach.
I can run these into the loops concealed in the backscene so that a variety of movements are possible. And there's plenty of shunting to do, of course. Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed

Very impressive, Guy. The 4' platforms on my 8' x 6' layout can barely accommodate 5 Gresley or Stanier coaches.
Not to be picky, but weren't TPOs marshalled at the front of the train so that unsuspecting passengers leaning out of the window wouldn't get whacked by a dangling mailbag? Or am I completely out to lunch?
By the way, CN freight trains that pass through my town daily have up to 160 bogie freight cars hauled by 3 locos (2 up front and one in the middle), and are approximately 2 miles in length (about 66' in N scale).
Freight cars range from 50' box cars to tri-level auto carriers 90' long and 20' high, carrying up to 15 regular-sized cars.
See examples at:
http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/equipment/railroad-equipment /
--
Martin S.
Ontario, Canada

It doesn't belong there anyway, but I need one more coach :-)

That would be interesting in a garden railway I reckon.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
On Jan 3, 7:33am, "Just zis Guy, you know?"

In a scale suitable for a garden railway that woud be quite a big garden to avoid tail-chasing and keep SWMBO happy.
Are you boasting again :-)
MBQ
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 00:30:50 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Heh! My old house had a 150ft garden, the new place is shorter but squarer. I have been thinking about running through the wall and round the garden, but am keeping my powder dry on that one for now... Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
in message wrote: : > : >> : >> >By the way, CN freight trains that pass through my town daily have up to : >> >160 bogie freight cars hauled by 3 locos (2 up front and one in the : >> >middle), and are approximately 2 miles in length (about 66' in N scale). : >> : >> That would be interesting in a garden railway I reckon. : > : >In a scale suitable for a garden railway that woud be quite a big : >garden to avoid tail-chasing and keep SWMBO happy. : > : >Are you boasting again :-) : : Heh! My old house had a 150ft garden, the new place is shorter but : squarer. I have been thinking about running through the wall and round : the garden, but am keeping my powder dry on that one for now... :
Only 150ft?! Our old house had a 200ft garden, and that was just the lawned area, it must have been getting on for 50ft wide too. :~P
But you don't need a long garden for such 160 bogie freight car trains, you just need to model a typical loop (of which there are many areas to chose from in the USA or Can.) and thus whilst the trains do chase their own tails -as "MBQ" puts it- they do so in a prototypical way.
BTW, MBQ, I think your last comment was a tad previous but ultimately correct... :~(
--
Regards, Jerry.

On 03/01/2012 23:35, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Go on, do it. You know you want to!

--
Jane

wrote: : : > This is what I am doing <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXcq-HI02UU
: > : > I will get some more light so I can take a proper video, but you get : > the idea: I like running long trains over bridges and stuff. Here you : > see a 9F with a coal train of around 50 trucks, and an A3 pulling 14 : > coaches. Oh, and an N2 on the branch (the girder bridge in the : > background) with a single coach. : > : > I can run these into the loops concealed in the backscene so that a : > variety of movements are possible. And there's plenty of shunting to : > do, of course. : : Very impressive, Guy. The 4' platforms on my 8' x 6' layout can barely : accommodate 5 Gresley or Stanier coaches.
That's all my local outer suburban station could accommodate when I lived close to the main line out of (London) Kings Cross, so quite prototypical if your layout is in effect a loop with 'off stage' storage.
: : Not to be picky, but weren't TPOs marshalled at the front of the train so : that unsuspecting passengers leaning out of the window wouldn't get : whacked by a dangling mailbag? Or am I completely out to lunch?
I *think* you might be out to lunch, all the film I've seen of TPO's picking up from line side seems to suggest the bags are hung outside of the normal area of lean [1]. What would happen if the on-train mail staff missed the pick-up, and in any case would it have been acceptable to risk train and passenger by reducing the loading gauge?
[1] and if they are leaning that far out they risk being hit by signal posts, bridge supports etc.
: : By the way, CN freight trains that pass through my town daily have up to : 160 bogie freight cars hauled by 3 locos (2 up front and one in the : middle), and are approximately 2 miles in length (about 66' in N scale). <snip>
...and they wonder why the USA and Can. have above average instances of people trying to beat the on coming train across the grade crossing...
--
Regards, Jerry.

On Dec 31 2011, 6:22pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?"

The majority of these are way better than whet gets published regularly in at least one society journal, where pictures seem to take on a strange green cast.
I don't think you have too much to worry about.
MBQ
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 00:32:37 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

I bought a 16 miniature video camera - it's not very wonderful but I like the fact that it can be strapped to a truck and fit within the loading gauge.
Here's a trip round the layout: <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAWpjBCPNLU
Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:05:43 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"

Looks good, these things tend to highlight track defects like kinks etc but yours looks fine.
The bit around 34 secs vaguely reminds me of travel through the area of the Triangle sidings on the District line around the Earls court area ,High Street Kensington area below the what was the West London Air terminal. Thinking about I have seen it done in a cartoon many years ago but with the advent of these miniaturised cameras somebody strapped for space could model an underground line beneath their floor boards. Model the Circle or Glasgow Subway then even a tail chaser would be prototypical.
Where did you source the camera from? I want to film what lives* in the garden pond but don't really want to spend a lot doing it. I could afford to risk losing a 16.00 camera placed in a weighted glass jar like sweets in old style sweet jobs use to use in an experiment. * And see if a missing box car lies down there.
G.Harman
[ video camera mounted to a flat wagon ] : Thinking about I have seen it done in a cartoon many years ago but : with the advent of these miniaturised cameras somebody strapped for : space could model an underground line beneath their floor boards. : Model the Circle or Glasgow Subway then even a tail chaser would be : prototypical.
I remember in the 1980s Railway Modeller did a April Fools of just that, complete with photographs!... Those who didn't 'get the joke' wrote in (and chatted at their clubs etc.), asking what the point was of a model that one couldn't see. :~)
Of course, whilst the miniaturisation of electronics has allowed for small video cameras recording to memory chip what hasn't become widely available is a method of live viewing, yes I know that their are kits available but they are not much more than gimmicks ATM - the next great improvement to DCC perhaps, multiplexing control and video signals via the track to literally give true "cab control"?!
--
Regards, Jerry.