What is it? XLIII

Just posted a few more this morning:

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

How fitting that item 238 is a P-38 GI can opener

Reply to
Jack

#236 looks like another chain breaker. #237 almost looks like a wire stripper but because it is compound, is probably a crimper of some sort. #238 can opener #239 ?? #240 tool for spreading automotive battery terminal clamps. #241 looks like a thickness gauge.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I'm sure someone's answered this already, but here are my answers:

#236 is a bicycle chain link tool #237 looks like a crimping tool of some kind, though I couldn't say what for #238 P-38 can opener, issued to GIs when rations were in cans, before MREs became the standard ration #239 Looks like one of those 70s plastic ashtrays but that's not it... #240 really funny pliers or spreaders of some kind...specific uses I have no idea though. #241 wire thickness guage

thanks for sharing, that's a very interesting page you've got there.

bkr

Reply to
bkr

236. (I've got one exactly like this) - it is for pushing out/replacing the removable rivet/pin in a bicycle chain 237 - (my micrometer is ls starrett and i'm english bought it in a junk sale it is beautiful engineering )this has gotta be some form of adjustable jaw cutters/nipper used from clipping tiles to shape - but the blades look round the wrong way 238 (I've got one of these as well ) it's a tin opener, I believe it was a us military design/issue 239. (you've not broken into my home to take photos have you?) - my zoetrope looks just like this 240

241 could be a drill bit holder d-i-y style

Thanks and Regards

Matthew Newell

Reply to
Matthew Newell
240 is, you asked for it, a nostril spreader for examination purposes.
Reply to
Dave W

236 Bicycle chain breaker 237 Spring wire cutter -- cuts hard wire 238 GI can opener -- popular among backpackers 239 ? 240 ? 241 Bench block used when driving out small pins, etc.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

239 appears to be an automobile ashtray for an old Dodge 241 -- perhaps part of wire-extruding machinery?
Reply to
Matthew Russotto

So named because it was supposed to take 38 punches to work its way around the top of a standard K-ration can.

Jeff (Smoke 'em if youve got 'em...)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
241 the anvil part of a staking press
Reply to
Fred R

#236 Bicycle Chain link removal tool #238 Can opener #239 Camera Lens Shade

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal
237. Wire cutter, don't know what those jaws are for.

241. Watchmaker's bench block

Matthew Russotto said the following on 1/6/2005 8:44 AM:

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

235, Tube flaring tool. 233, Tap or die holder. 238, GI can opener. 236, Bicycle chain tool.
Reply to
Mike M

236) Some sort of tool for pressing a pin out or in? Perhaps for roller drive chains? 237) A set of Starrett compound leverage end cutter pliers (Cutnippers). Except that the replaceable blades don't look right. I suspect that this has been modified to act as a crimper. These are normally avaialbe with either tool steel blades or carbide blades, and are normally used for cutting things like (hardened spring) music wire.

There are two sizes of these, and mine are the smaller ones (No 1-5-1/2"). This marking is right where the "S-Y" marking is on your example.

Note that there is an adjustable stop screw in the center of the spring (from the left-hand handle a shown), to adjust so the blades *almost* but not quite touch after re-sharpening. (The instruction slip packed with them suggests 0.001" clearance.)

But these have no edges, which is why I suggest that they have been modified to serve as some form of crimper.

O.K. I've just gone on down to the next image, and the end shape supports my feeling. Note also, that the screw on the jaw to the right is totally non-standard, while the one on the left may well be original.

238) K-ration can opener.

239) Some form of lens hood? I can't see the small end, to tell whether it is open, and threads into a lens. If so, the slots may allow the large end to be stored reversed on a lens body.

240) Pliers to expand the inside of something -- perhaps flexible tubing prior to slipping onto a fitting?

241) Jeweler's bench block. I've never known what function the slots along the near edge serve, but I suspect for holding a gear for filing or other work?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

236 is a bicycle chain tool.

238 is a can opener

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Correct.

It's a crimper, but that's all I know about it.

Yes

Correct

Nope

Reply to
R.H.

That worked out pretty good, I didn't know it was a P-38.

Reply to
R.H.
239 cement drill
Reply to
woodcraftssuch

Correct

I'm not sure exactly what this one is for

Yes

Zeotrope is correct, and no I haven't broken into your house recently.

Nope

Reply to
R.H.

These are all correct

You're correct that it isn't an ashtray.

It's not a thickness gauge.

Reply to
R.H.