What is it? LIV

Looks like four of the six have been answered correctly so far:

302. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Fred is right in saying this is a mason's mortar smoothing tool. I added another photo showing that it is inscribed:

H. Coldblatt Tool Co. Kansas City MO

Though I think that it's supposed to read Goldblatt, a manufacturer of mansonry tools.

303. Double Prism Optical Square

Thanks to Gerry for the definitive link on this one, he didn't reply to all the groups so I'll repost the url:

304. Wood joiner, a number of replies had the right idea for this one, apparently it goes by many names.

305. No correct answers yet, closest guesses so far are by the two replies mentioning an old wagon. It actually does attach to a wheel, but it's not for muddy or rocky terrain.

306. Well, it is a ring as several have mentioned, but there is something about it that makes it different and a little more interesting than most other rings. It only cost six dollars, so those who guessed it was cheap were correct.

307. Quite a few properly identified this as one of a set of trammel points.

------

I've had a little trouble posting the last couple weeks, my news server has lost my original post for my last two threads. After I send it, it shows up, but when I open it I get "Message is no longer available on the server", then it no longers shows up at all on the newsgroup. This has happened off and on for the past few months, I was wondering if anyone might know what could cause this problem. I'm using Outlook, if that tells you anything.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
305 - Some sort of rough lock, as a skid to slow the wheel on steep grades?
Reply to
Gerald Clough

From RCM

305 is a skid shoe or wagon shoe for a wagon. It is used to retard the movement of a wagon downhill to prevent it from overtaking the horses mules or oxen. Used on one or both rear wheels.
Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yes, it's called a drag shoe or a ruggle. It's a type of brake to prevent a heavily loaded wagon from overpowering the horses on a steep downhill grade, makes the wagon slide down the hill instead of rolling.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Is it made out of two twisted flat pieces of material that were then attached to each other?

Reply to
Steve W.

I don't think that's how it was made, it's not how it was created that makes it unusual. I bought it at a local puzzle shop, it's not a puzzle ring but it does have a feature that some people find intriguing.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Number 306 is an optical illusion ring that appears to grow and shrink as you turn it in your hand.

-BMG

Reply to
Carl Ginnow

This answer is correct. For those who haven't seen it: you can see in the photo that the links on top look thinner than the ones on the bottom, when you turn the ring it appears that they actually grow larger right before your eyes, or get smaller if you turn it the opposite way.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.
301 -- I dont know what it is but I'd use something like that to squeeze the brass sleeves over flex hoses end fittings. The hammer and anvil arent shown in this picture.
Reply to
Jerry Martes

Squeezing the handles closes the clamps. Actually it is spring loaded, but the spring holds it open.

In it's relaxed state, would it hold something? Seems unlikely.

Reply to
R.H.

312: "The puzzle for this one is to determine how the top piece of this stacked freestanding wood is able to entirely overhang the bottom piece"

A: Physics?

For each block draw a line upward from the upper right corner of the side shown in the photo. If more than half of the mass of all the blocks above lies to the left of the corner point, the stack will not topple. This must be true for all blocks in the stack. If not, use glue ;-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg