What is it? XLII

It's a dial, but not for a regular phone.

Reply to
R.H.

Both of these are correct, though I haven't tried the ice cracker yet.

Reply to
R.H.

Nope

All of these are right.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct

Reply to
R.H.

This one isn't a corkscrew nor a drill

Correct

Nope

Yes

Nope

Correct

Reply to
R.H.

Yes, but as I replied to a different post, it's not for a regular phone.

Nope

Correct

This one isn't a crucible

Yes

Reply to
R.H.

Nope

Correct

This one isn't quartz.

Yes

Nope

These three are correct, though I'm not sure if 224 is for tire chain.

Nope

Yes

Reply to
R.H.

Correct, it's also called a TV stone, if you hold it up to your eye you can't see through it (you can't see across the room, just a blur of light), an image can be seen through it only when it's placed directly on something. With it's fibrous crystal growth, it's like naturally occurring fiber optics, as you can see in the photos the image is transmitted straight up from the bottom. If you put it on a dollar or a printed page and move it around, the way the image looks in relation to the real printing is very unusual. I get really great reactions with this one, it's one of my favorite things to show people.

Reply to
R.H.

Nope, it's not for rug-hooking.

Reply to
R.H.

It's a telephone dial used for testing purposes by linemen.

As you guessed, it's not calcite.

I'll have to do some research on this...

Reply to
R.H.

You're right about the spiral, a long rope goes through the short coil at the lower left of the first photo and I think it also passes through the handle at the upper left.

Correct

Nope

These last three are correct.

Reply to
R.H.
230 is an apple corer, I think :)
Reply to
ROCKHEAD

230 isn't an apple corer, it's not something that is used in the home.
Reply to
R.H.

lol, these are your best answers yet...

Reply to
R.H.

I remember learning about some mineral that's a bunch of parallel fibers, but can't remember what it is - asbestos springs to mind, but that's probably not right.

or Grunerite, maybe.

233 is a die holder for threading pipe or rod stock. 234 looks like some kind of whacker, but I can't imagine for what. Maybe to knock out cows for slaughter. 235 is a clamp used to hold tube for flaring the end e.g.:
- 225 is the other half of 235! 224 is a removable chain link

226 is a two-headed measuring spoon

227 some kind of machine tool key or valve handle 229 chain saw blade

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's not any of these.

Correct

Yes, it's for hitting something, but it's much too small for cows.

Both of these are correct.

Nope, it's made of leather

No, it's a specific type of wrench.

Correct.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Haven't had many new guesses for a couple days so I went ahead and posted an answer link to the latest set.

R.H.

Got any more pix of 228? I notice it's still "Unknown". It looks like a folding straightedge, but I'd really like to see some better pix, with it folded and unfolded, closeups of the hinge, and stick ends, and recess, and so on. It could be Paul Bunyan's Razor! ;-)

And when I found out that the "boot weight" was made of leather, but before I found out it was a boot weight, I was going to say, "blackjack." Which is probably what it was, like a "tire checker" is a tire checker. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I had read of that damnable #230, but never saw one! Very clever...

Reply to
Dave Bell

This one belongs to someone else, there used to be more photos of it at this link, half way down the page:

But I just checked and they're coming up blank, maybe they'll show up in a day or two. I'll email him and see what's up.

I actually bought the book weight at a book store, but I guess someone could use it for whatever suited their needs. A lot of people thought it was a blackjack.

Reply to
R.H.