source for rubber bushings

I'm restoring an old Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder with a matching dust collector. The wiring passes through rubber bushings in the machine's base. The bushings are shot - all rotted away - and I need to find some replacements. Any ideas where to look? 3/4" groove diameter, 1/2" groove thickness, 1/2 inside diameter.

Reply to
William R Hopcraft

The groove thickness is a little bigger than I've seen in automotive firewall grommets, but you could slit two and attach them with epoxy from either side. Grommets this size are used on large aircraft in many places. You might try a local airport repair facility.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Did you try McMaster Carr?

Don't have time to go and look right now...

Also, are you sure what your looking for isn't a 'grommet.'

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

In some catalogs these things are called "bushings" and in others they're called "grommets". Regardless of what you call them, nobody (including McMaster Carr) seems to have the size I need!

Reply to
William R Hopcraft

They are easy enough to make from a rubber plug available from Home Depot. Look for a rubber "cork" of the right size. Stick it in the freezer over night, then run it out and drill the center hole. Stick it over a rod, then turn the outside. Use a razor sharp HSS lathe tool with a bit of positive rake.

Or you can do what I do..and simply put in a j box conduit fitting with the liner. shrug..not original but keeps the wires from abrading.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

Look for "grommet" or "strain-relief". This kind of thing I can get at the hardware store. A decent electrical supply should have something that would work, industrial suppliers like MSC or McMaster-Carr will have something. Electronic suppliers like Digi-Key or Mouser might have something that would work, too. I've replaced rubber grommets in a lot of equipment with nylon strain reliefs, they have a nut that holds the works in place and a clamp to hold the cord. They don't tend to disintegrate when soaked with oil or exposed to ozone. You may have to enlarge the hole to use them, though.

Good luck with the restoration!

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer