Durable Paint

I have some metal parts that need restoring, but since powder coating is not available in my area and I'm sure too expensive for this project I was hoping to get opinions on the most durable paint available.

So far I've come up with appliance epoxy, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
jamesjaddah1755

not available in my area and I'm sure too expensive for this project I was hoping to get opinions on the most durable paint available.

be appreciated.

Harbor Freight has a powder coat gun that has pretty good reviews. In addi tion to the sprayer you need an oven. I do not have one so can't really co mment.

Years ago I worked at a company that used staple guns. The Duofast rep rec ommended using Sherwin Williams epoxy spray cans to paint the heads of the staples. So we would spray the heads of the staples before using them. Th e Sherwin Williams paint survived the staple gun.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

As usual for requests from just about anyone on Usenet in the past decade, there isn't enough information in the original post.

There are some truly outstanding equipment protectants nowadays, some with extraordinarily high prices. (see, I can be vague, too. ;)

Alkyd enamels are great on cast iron indoors, and they can take some heat and solvents without problems. This is what I've used historically. It's inexpensive and easy to apply.

Epoxies are great if you apply them correctly and prep like mad beforehand. Performance has greatly increased in the past decade, and the prices have come down a bit.

The questions remain: Indoor or out? Abrasive resistance needed? Chemical/salt resistance needed? UV resistance needed? Temperature resistance? Grafitti resistance? Sheet or cast metal? Expected lifetime? Are these pinball panels?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Staten Island powder coating:

Jim Wilkins

That is one of three places that are "supposed" to do powder coating on Staten Island, but like the other two they do not respond to e-mail inquiries that contain pics of exactly what I want powder coated.