Could these transformers have PCB oil?

I am eyeing a couple of transformers that come up for auction today:
http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/ppl-auction/catalogue-id-bscpp10095/lot-3c9d8542-30c4-439c-8295-a45e01297e39
http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/ppl-auction/catalogue-id-bscpp10095/lot-4505528e-8035-4704-8aa5-a45e01297e3e
Unfortunately, I was not able to see them, but I wonder,
1) What is the likelihood that they are copper wound 2) What is the likelihood that they have PCB oil in them
thanks
Ignoramus20394 prodded the keyboard with:

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/ppl-auction/catalogue-id-bscpp10095/lot-3c9d8542-30c4-439c-8295-a45e01297e39

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/ppl-auction/catalogue-id-bscpp10095/lot-4505528e-8035-4704-8aa5-a45e01297e3e

If they are from the seventies or thereabouts a very good chance.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

They look old and ugly, maybe from the 40s
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:35:52 -0500, Ignoramus20394

There should be a nameplate on it that lists what it's filled with. It probably won't say "PCB." They first used it in transformers in 1929, and the EPA says it was used through 1977. My parents lost their well water due to PCBs in 1976. They had to switch to city water.
Here are the other product names for PCBs that EPA lists, which should appear on a label:
Abestol, Aroclor, Askarel, Chlophen, Chlorextol, DK, EEC-18, Fenclor, Inerteen, Kennechlor, No-Flamol, Phenoclor, Pyralene, Pyranol, Saf-T-Kuhl, Solvol, Non-Flammable Liquid
--
Ed Huntress

Ignoramus20394 prodded the keyboard with:

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/ppl-auction/catalogue-id-bscpp10095/lot-3c9d8542-30c4-439c-8295-a45e01297e39

http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/ppl-auction/catalogue-id-bscpp10095/lot-4505528e-8035-4704-8aa5-a45e01297e3e

In that case, almost certainly will have PCB's. I'd avoid them like the plague.
A good number of years ago, I inhereted a number of PCB filled capacitors. It was the local scrapman that put me wise to the fact that they were labeled as containing PCB's. Before I was allowed to dispose of them I had to enclose each one in a plastic bag and then encapsulate them in concrete inside a lidded polythene drum. An expensive time consuming exercise.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl
On 3/26/2015 7:02 AM, Ignoramus20394 wrote:

I would guess the likelihood of copper to be 100%. I would guess 100% likelihood of PCB in the oil.
The cost to dispose of the oil would probably be more than the $ you would get for the copper.
Paul

Thanks.
Yes, I can come up with much more pleasant ways to go to prison or lose everything.
On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 7:02:06 AM UTC-7, Ignoramus20394 wrote:

You need to see the nameplate. Lots of transformers were refitted with no-PCB coolants, and might have inspection tags to show it.

all copper for something that old.

just as likely.
The AC branded one has a blue sticker on it that may certify it PCB free, but there's no way to read it.
Anyways, you stand to lose far more than you'd gain if they are contaminated. What the nameplates on stuff that old say doesn't even matter. You need to have whats inside them tested by a lab to know what they're filled with and if they are tainted with PCBs.