Separating Delrin and Nylon

I have a lot of black and white colored Delrin and Nylon blocks mixed together that I need to separate.

Can anyone tell me what to look for to differenciate the two materials?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Specific gravities are different, Delrin being denser. You might check the numbers and look for a liquid with specific gravity between the two, then the Nylon will float and the Delrin sink.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

If they are the same size blocks, maybe just weigh them.

Reply to
L Alpert

First some data for unreinforced polymers:

Density g/cm3

-------------- POM - Homo = 1,42 POM - Co = 1,40 PA6 = 1,13 PA66 = 1,14

Melting point °C

----------------- POM - Homo = 178 POM - Co = 166 PA6 = 217 PA66 = 257

I would use melting temperature to differentiate quickly, by heating up a metal plate to about 195°C and bring those polymer blocks in contact with that plate. If the polymer surface starts to melt it is POM, if not it is nylon ...

snipped-for-privacy@mail.c> I have a lot of black and white colored Delrin and Nylon blocks mixed

Reply to
Rolf Wissmann

Burn a corner of them. POM (Delrin) burns with an invisible flame (don't smell it - it hurts). Nylon burns with a yellow flame and black smoke.

That's how the Chinese sort out lumps... just burn a corner, smell (if not POM, the only one burning invisible), and you know what it is.

Wouter.

Reply to
Wouter van Marle

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I was hoping there would be visual cues to look for.(The pieces are all black and white).

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Wouter van Marle wrote:

Reply to
Searcher7