Got a new Motor

I picked up a 115v, 1/2hp, 1200rpm, TEFC, single phase Marathon
Resilient motor.
I won it on Ebay for only $16.50 and before I try to figure out what
to do with it I thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar with this
brand.
I'll probably sell it and but one more suitable for my purpose. That
is one that has a 1/2" dia. pulley shaft instead of a 5/8" one like
another motor I already have.
They seem difficult to come by, and I still need one for my band saw
or drill press project.
Can anyone tell me much about the quality of this brand of motor or
how much it usually goes for?
Thanks.
Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
It is a "PSC type" motor which is a poor choice for use on something like a drill press lathe or similar.

PrecisionmachinisT
"Won" = you were willing to pay more than anyone else??? Ok....
for only $16.50 and before I try to figure out what
Marathon is an established brand, common in what seems to be good quality products. Not a baldor, but.... 1200 rpm seems to be an odd duckie, tho, proly along the lines of what Sam was saying.
Fuck ebay. Go to a motor re-winding house, or a pump-motor house, they often have floor-to-ceiling shelves of used motors. Fuck ebay.
Reply to
Existential Angst
6 pole motors run at 1200 rpm (synchronous speed)

PrecisionmachinisT
Before I retired, our electrical dept specified Marathon for 3ph 480V stuff, TEFC or explosion proof, often inverter duty. I had a lot better luck with them (fractional to 25 hp) than Baldor, except one custom motor with much less runout than normal for a special application. The other Baldors we got were often replaced with Marathons when they died. So I like the brand, don't know about your motor.
Pete Keillor
Reply to
Pete Keillor
Marathon is a good industrial motor and they make them for a lot of the distributors.
Having found a 1200 rpm motor is a rather lucky find and many applications can be found for it.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
But none involving a drill press or band saw? Any idea on what these usually cost? The seller who I won this motor from is selling similar for $152.
(Though, that one says 115V/ 230V).
Thanks.
Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.
Reply to
Searcher7
Oops. So much for the no political content warning.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Sure..they can be used on both applications and often are. My metal cutting vertical bandsaw has an 1150 rpm motor in it
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
Thanks a lot.