Primers fired electrically?

Can a primer be set off electrically? As in high current or capacitor discharge?

Reply to
RogerN

Are you really that stupid ?

--

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Which type? ABC or firearms?

And yes if its the latter one. Though it takes a pretty good amperage

  1. Lie
Gunner

Don't you think maybe if you just get it hot enough that way it pops off from the heat?

I wonder what the purpose would be? Detonator for an IED? I can think of more reliable detonators depending on your propellant.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Are you?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Firearm, guess I'll have to give it a try sometime to see what kind of power it takes. Was thinking a battery and switch would be easier than the hammer/trigger mechanical alternative.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Of course its the heat. Priming compounds today are pretty darned stable.

I once knew a fellah that had replaced the two "thingies" on the hood of his 57 Chevy with pieces of black pipe, each with an endcap and a live 12ga round..and a chunk of copper wire right over the primer. Flick a switch on the dashboard...and BLAM!!..flicl another switch and Blam! would go the other barrel.

Moderately accurately too. I think I remember he Zeroed them for about

25 yrds

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

Cool! What did he hunt with it? Jaywalkers?

I got pulled over in my first vehicle, a '57 Chebby. Officer Patton (can't forget THAT name) wrote me up for having an illegal siren on the vehicle. Of course, it was only a Hollywood Wolf Whistle, and that's what he'd heard as I passed some chicks on the side of the road. He was pulled over on a break, eating donuts, when he heard my illegal device. Remember the days back when--we used to live by the number of J.C. Whitney catalogs we received? This was before Radio Shack and the Internet. Fond mammaries.

Oh, it worked off intake manifold vacuum.

Larry Jaques

Solenoid with a pin might be a better choice if repeatability and reliability are important.

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

The whole firing pin/primer system seems to work just fine as it is, and I see a number of potential problems with electrically-fired handheld guns. Here's some, just having to do with the fact that you're dependent on batteries:

For the perceived use case of most self-defense weapons that would suck: the thing would sit around not being used for long periods of time, then you'd scrabble it out of the drawer, point it at the intruder in your house, and -- nothing, the battery's dead.

For hunting, well, it'd be OK if you remembered fresh batteries before you go out to the boonies.

For cops, it's kind of the same as hunting. This may actually work, if you can maintain discipline about putting in fresh batteries every shift, or putting your gun on charge at the end of every shift. (Putting your gun on charge?!?)

For soldiering -- you want me to leave behind the a gun that just works for as long as I have ammo, and take along some replacement that is going to crap out when I still have 100 rounds on my person? So what do I do, ask the other guys to please stop shooting those antiques at me until a runner brings me more batteries?

I think there were (or are) some guns used in aviation with electrically- fired ammunition, but there you're in an environment where the gun's not going to fire if the electrical system isn't working, so making the actual firing of the round dependent on electricity doesn't lose you much, if anything.

And note, while you read the above, that I'm a circuit design engineer by profession, and I'm normally quite enthusiastic about electrifying systems. Unless it's a system that already works just fine -- then my advise is to not f*** with it.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

There are some black powder muzzleloaders arms that use an electronic detonator. Maybe you could produce the element cheap enough to make it disposable with the cartridges. Just change the battery in your gun periodically. The battery could also provide for a biometric reader of some kind so nobody else could fire your gun.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think dynamite, the use electrical det. Should be able to do primers that way, also. Some way, I'm sure.

I also got a lot of JC Whitney catalogs. I wasn't pleased when I ordered a battery isolator, and got a Toyota wiring adaptor. The tire bubble balancer also turned out to be a POS and promptly broke.

.

Cool! What did he hunt with it? Jaywalkers?

I got pulled over in my first vehicle, a '57 Chebby. Officer Patton (can't forget THAT name) wrote me up for having an illegal siren on the vehicle. Of course, it was only a Hollywood Wolf Whistle, and that's what he'd heard as I passed some chicks on the side of the road. He was pulled over on a break, eating donuts, when he heard my illegal device. Remember the days back when--we used to live by the number of J.C. Whitney catalogs we received? This was before Radio Shack and the Internet. Fond mammaries.

Oh, it worked off intake manifold vacuum.

Stormin Mormon

No need to bomb the same clinic twice.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

are important.

Have to hit it with some speed and pressure though. Primers are not all that easy to set off.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

There have been a few civilian arms that used electricity. IRRC..Remington back in the late 1990s built some rifles that used electrical power for detonating the primer.

Hummm Remington EtronX or something similar

Not very many out there and the ammo is a bit spotty

Im aware of one test version of the GyroJet that was electricly fired..but it didnt work worth a shit..in a gun that was...well..it had some issues....chuckle

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

are important.

Solenoid-activated spring-loaded device, such as those used in automatic centerpunches.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"RogerN" wrote in news:15adnf8PEbdT9XfNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

You have to be careful to heat it just enough to fire, without weakening the primer. Otherwise the primer will puncture, with generally unpleasant results.

A lot of .22 rimfire Olymic level target pistols use electronic triggers nowadays, but they all use a solenoid & a mechanically cocked striker. Nobody has figured out how to reliably fire even a .22 with an electrical discharge.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Check out the Vulcan 20 mm Gatling cannon. The rounds are electrically fired, it even says so on the ammo boxes. I think the GAU-9 (Warthog)

30 mm cannon works the same way, but not sure.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson
[ ... ]

And certainly quicker response time. The cook-off approach takes a while to get hot enough, and by that time, it might be aimed at something you *don't* want to shoot. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yeah, I just took a quick peek and sighed. I thought it was that newspaper's archive.

I hope their paid version allows something better than the view through the little magnifying glass.

Ain't even.

I can understand why, since I've seen that story line in movies several times. I like the one with Dolph Lundgren best. ;) He was good in Red Scorpion, too. Good action/adventure guy. The movie writers get the meat of their stories from real-life adventures like that.

Nowadays, the city attorney would advise the sheriff to arrest the rowdy vigilantes on the rooftops so the law-abiding, friendly bikers could simply ride through town on their way elsewhere. We all know how that would turn out. I prefer to read stories where the cops are happy to go along and let real justice prevail. It may not be letter of the law, but it's sure as hell INTENT.

Reply to
Larry Jaques