Help: Drill Press Machine Project

I see you've been having a bad day...

I knew when I posted that the company that made the drill press was no longer in business.

And I've had the PDF manual for the drill press for months.

Said manual and pics I took of the drill press have been posted in this thread several times in an attempt to prove to you and others that this is a 5 speed drill press with no "Jack shaft/idler pulley". But only *two* locations for the included 5-step pulleys in the housing:

But I am continually directed to manuals for drill presses that are

*not* the same as mine. So I'd think it would not be a good idea to reference those when looking for parts.

Flash is the only one that seems to understand this.

When do I need parts, I'll contact Harbor Freight. But from what I can tell so far I don't need anything for the drill press.(And all I need for the bandsaw is a motor, a table, and a 92" blade to replace the rusted one).

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

The drill press looks totally complete to me. Just clean up the rust and put it together. The drill press just has the 2 pulleys. There is no idler pulley. If everyone would look at the link to the manual that the original poster has, it is pretty clear. I think Flash nailed it. Jesse

???

Yes, but that is not my Drill Press.

That doesn't look like tyhe one in my picture, but it should be a simple matter to figure it out. I just have to find out what size table I should be looking for.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
Reply to
Jesse

I see NOTHING in your original post that indicates that you have had the manual at all, let alone for months. So all this discussion is over ........... what...............? You ask people for help, with hold useful information, ask where to get parts.

Troll.

Searcher7 wrote:

manual,

>>> you will see a good drawing of a double reduction belt system with a

Reply to
RoyJ

Whether or not I had the manual has nothing to do with the fact that I didn't know where to get parts for a machine made by a company that is out of business...

And this has nothing to do with several posters concentrating on an idler shaft that doesn't exist on my machine.

So how does this make me a troll?

Anyone who reads this thread can see I am not the one with a comprehension problem.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

****************************************************************************= ******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7

Searcher7 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

NOW I can see what you meant: the motor pulley had just been "parked" in the middle.

If that platform is sturdy enough, though, you can easily make it a 15- speed by fabricating an idler arm and putting a pulley on it.

No question, now. The longish belt is a dead giveaway.

Especially if you don't have a Big Box Store handy.

Reply to
RAM³

And this has nothing to do with several posters concentrating on an idler shaft that doesn't exist on my machine.

So how does this make me a troll?

Anyone who reads this thread can see I am not the one with a comprehension problem.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Darren - your attitude is not conducive to further help. If you know the answers don't ask the questions. If someone tries to help, don't complain about the help, particularly don't whine and say you already knew that. You have received more than enough help from this group to answer every question you asked, even though you wasted a lot of peoples time. Come back when you have learned some social graces.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

How strong is that middle shaft that the pulley is resting on? If it was 5-speed, the pully belongs on the motor shaft, AFAICT.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

That piece in the lower left is the mount for the table. The two curved things are the guides for the swiveling table.

It probably bolts to the two diagonal holes on the c frame behind the lower guides.

Somewhere around here, I have a pair of very similar swivels off a 4" wood jointer. I will rummage around for them. Measure yours and get back to me. If they are the same, you might be able to use them to build a table.

Paul K. Dickman

I see a lot of differences. And I don't yet know what the piece on the lower left of this pic is for:

As of right now. The only thing I know I don't have is a table.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************
Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

My attitude? How do you figure that?

Point to any question I aksed but already knew the answer to.

Point to where I complained about the help.

Whine? What did I say I already know?

question you asked,

You sure?

Oh. So you're saying I was wasting everyone's time trying to understand why you thought I needed three pulleys in a drill press made for two? And I guess that Flash wasted even more time because he had to copy himself and repost in an attempt to get you and RoyJ to understand I didn't need a third pulley, after you ignored Winston's posting of the PDF manual at the beginning of the thread. My subsequent posting of the manual, and my posting of links to pictures I took of the drill press. Even Jesse tried to inform you of the facts. I wasn't the one wasting every one's time...

Your definition of "social graces"? I get called a troll for pointing out errors. I convey my displeasure with being called a troll, and as a result you say I'm complaining about the help.

Your tenuous grasp on reality is astounding.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Very funny.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Thanks a lot.

Those two holes are 2-3/4" from center to center.(And 5/8" from the edges).

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

*=AD*******************************************************************
Reply to
Searcher7

It wasn't meant to be.

I can't tell from the photo if the pulley in the middle is attached to anything or if it's jiggling around loose.

If it's attached to a rod in the middle, and the third pulley is missing, then it's not a 5 speed, and it's missing a pulley.

If it's loose, it is a 5-speed.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

The pulley is not exactly centered. And the belt would be considered too big if it was for a jackshaft.

But the problem was the number of times I and others told certain posters, along with the initial PDF manual posting, and specifically the picture *without* the pulley present. After all this certain posters still would not understand, and I was ostracized for trying to explain what I had.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Not very strong as it turns out.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Darren;

I sent an email but it got bounced back.

Those aren't the measurements I need. Measure the curved parts. width, length, estimated radius of curve. Maybe some photos with a ruler.

The pieces I have would mate up with those curved pieces and then you could bolt a table to them.

Shoot me an email from a working address and we can take this off list.

Paul K. Dickman

Those two holes are 2-3/4" from center to center.(And 5/8" from the edges).

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

***************************************************************************­*******************************************************************
Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

I posted photos here:

The part is 10" at it's longest.

The body is 3" wide.

And the curved portion is 3-1/4"(x 1-1/8").

The curve itself is about 2-3/4"(11/16 of a 4" diameter circle). The rails are 1/4" wide.

The thickness of the part varies.

E-mail sent.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.