Removing Rust

I need to polish the rust off of a few joystick shafts I have and I'm not sure what kind of steel the shafts are made of.

I tried Nver-Dull, but it didn't seem to do much.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, new York.

Reply to
Searcher7

look up electrolytic de rusting.Been discussed here several times.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

And it works a treat!

The picture shows some pretty minor oxidation, though. I would chuck them in the drill press at *low RPM* and use strips of 'shop roll' starting at relatively coarse and continuing with finer grits:

... and finish at 'maximum shiny' after a few thousand revolutions with crocus cloth:

Just hold the ends of say 24" of the strip between thumbs and forefingers. If it snags on the work, it will snap out of your fingers without pulling you into the tool.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The joystick shafts actually look a little worse than they do in the picture.

WD40 does nothing, and my local hardware store, as well as Home Depot don't have any shop strip or crocus cloth.

I can't even find alligator clips at any store to try the "electrolytic de rusting" idea,

So, since I need to get this done today, I guess I'll pick up that "rust remover" in a bottle I saw at Home Depot yesterday and try that.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Can't find jumper cables? Don't have wire and a C clamp?

Reply to
whit3rd

grits:

In a pinch, you can make your own 'shop roll'. Place a sanding belt grit side down on a piece of scrap wood. Use a straightedge and carpet knife to slice the backing into

1" strips. Viola!

If you can find sheets of crocus cloth (very fine abrasive paper) you can cut it into strips as well.

Anything springy can be used to hold the wire on to the workpiece and cathode. Clothes pin, worm clamp, rubber band, twisted wire tension....

Good luck! :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I also wasn't sure how a battery charger is to be hooked up to do the electrolytic de rusting.

But I now have a 16oz bottle of Loctite Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver. (I'll see how that works).

P.S.: Can you tell me what grit of sand paper would be used before Nevr-Dull is used to polish the shafts? (At the moment, the finest I have on hand is 400).

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

(...)

Negative to rusty part.

I don't know who this guy is but he is a genius! :)

I would go much finer. This stuff looks ideal to put a shine on that metal:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston