Recommendations for 3+ Ton Arbor Press?

I need an arbor press that is larger and better quality than the toyish 1/2-ton unit we have been using, and I would like some recommendations.
My application is flattening 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick metal fixtures that are dimensioned about 2 inch by 4 inch length and width, with a 90 degree bend and an additional 2 by 2 square beyond the bend. Occasionally they will be stainless, but usually they are a much softer metal.
The biggest problem I have with the 1/2 ton unit is not the pressing force. The problem is the ram is far too small. I want a ram that is at least 2 in by 2 in, in order to be able to cover most of the metal fixture I need to flatten under the ram in a single press. Otherwise it is too time consuming to press so many locations on a warped piece of metal.
To get to my target ram size, what size press would I need? I am guessing at least three tons, but maybe that size RAM will require larger?
If anyone can recommend some specific brands and models - preferably ones that are commonly available on used market - I would appreciate references. What should I expect to pay for a good condition used unit?
--
Will

1/8" stainless may have just taken you from the rehlm of cheap arbor press and brought you to the world of hydraulic presses. Which are quite cheap in the powers you need.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberD811
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberG11
Make your own frame and stick this in it <http://cgi.ebay.com/Areoquip-Press-w-Delta-Power-Hydraulic-pump_W0QQitemZ170202464559QQihZ007QQcategoryZ48718QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
On the other hand, you can make up a shoe to go on the end of any beefy arbor press that can be any footprint you desire. 5 ton would be good. Maybe.
Gunner

Closer to 5 ton to get a ram that big. I have one like this, I paid about $200 for it in better shape than this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item &0080117360
But if you just need more working area, not necessarily a press that weighs over 400#, get a small die set and operate it with a smaller press. Lots of choices here for reasonable money: http://stores.ebay.com/calebfiers_W0QQfrsrcZ1QQfsubZ15711884QQtZkm
--
Ned Simmons

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:41:39 -0700, the renowned "Will"

The 3-ton generic Chinese larger press I have has a 1.5" square ram. The ram is not particularly hard, and I've drilled and tapped 10-32 screw holes into the sides of it. But.. I am not sure it would be up to what you have in mind. I think I paid about $130 for it (new in crate). Grizzly sells something similar G4020 for $129. + shipping.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in